Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I can only have one :( help!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #1

Post I can only have one :( help!!!!!

Hello,
I am torn on what to buy I really like The looks of the new Crawler King from HPI with the optional gear lowering for $22.00 but i don't know what to get Would a Axial ax10 rtr be a better Crawler if i spent the same amount of money on tires and foam or does any one have have any suggestions for the f'n' new guy on what he should invest in or how I should go about getting in to r/c crawling I also like the summit but is is aweful pricey just to get started let alone upgrades well that's it thanks for any advice this would be my first r/c car ever ohh yeah there was two crwlers on ebay rtr with every thning for like $230.00 they were nylint rock crawlers one of them is called SCORPION MK1 and the pther was a jeep rubicon I believe I really don't know BUT I KNOW THAT THE WIFE WILL ONLY LET ME GET ONE SO I WANT IT TO BE THE RIGHT ONE THANKS AGAIN
EzraLane
ezralane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have an ax10 and a w/k......... get the ax10!!! you will spend less money and less time turning wrenches..... and keep your hair!
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

AXIAL Rtc get u a battery and charger. charge the battery up and go crawl. of course it isnt going to be comp worthy out of the box.But you wont need to upgrade the tires on it for now. the hammers do farely well. Axial is the only rig i will owne just for the ease of finding and getting parts and they are so simple to work on. hope this helps you. good luck!!!! let us know what you decide on.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

the axial rtc is a great option comes with some upgrades over the regular rtr the major ones are the shocks, tires, and come stock with a slipper clutch

rpphobby.com has them for a good price and they have fast shipping and great customer service

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...categoryId=167
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Buy the new Losi Comp Crawler or Berg! They are not RTR but you will thank me in the long run I say this because they are much better crawlers. Don't get me wrong, I started with a Axial. And I spent WAY to much $ in upgrades over time for it. Out of the box there isn't a better crawler out of the box than the Losi Comp Crawler!

You can pick one up for under $280. Grab a TQ3 for next to nothing with RX, Pick up a 200oz servo in the electronics forum right now for $20, throw a EMaxx motor in it for dirt cheap, and your set! (You still need a battery charger and battery, but you need that for any of them!) If you looked and did it right you could get a Losi and be up and going for under $400!!!

And with that crawler you could go to a local comp and compete with a rig that you could do well with!

With all of the good crawlers out there I really don't understand why everyone tries to get everyone to get a Axial? You have many options out there! Do some research first and see if you want a shafty or MOA rig first. Do you want to compete or just play around the house? Look at all the rigs, Axial AX-10, Berg, Losi CC, RockForce, Venom Creeper, Losi MRC, ect.....

This hobby is as deep as your wallet is! Crawling is never cheap! And with everything, you get what you pay for most of the time. If you plan to compete at some point my advise would be to start with a great rig and go from there. It will save you $ in the long run. Look in the "Comp" forum and see what rigs are winning all the comps and making top 5. A lot of that is driver skills but it helps to have good equipment!

Spend a few days reading the site here before you make your choice ;)

Last edited by TattooKenny; 08-14-2009 at 03:20 AM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

losi mini crawler and have some fun. Its a fun, capable, cheap way into the hobby. Then you can decide if you're into crawling and where you go from there - eg sell it and buy a more capable crawler, or perhaps go scale? I've jumped head first into hobbies before and spent a lot of money, before realising it wasn't what I wanted. Dip a toe in first and see how you feel.

Also it can be used indoors and its fun making courses with stuff you have around the house.

I bought one and had a lot of fun with my kids. then I bought a CR01 and have an eye on a Tundra, so I'm probably going more scale than comp
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if you want to comp join your local comp club and go out and help with checking a section and talk to the members you get the best help out there and someone is always upgrading and selling there old rig. so there are very good deals to be had.... welcome to the madness enjoy
samaruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Can't go wrong with AX10

They are sold at a great price and have tons of support. Their user friendly for those new to Rc Rock Crawling. Go with the AX10 my friend.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'd say go with the AX10
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #10

Thank you ,
I will do my reading for sure this was problebly the best advice I have read by far I will let you know on what i decide thanks again
ezralane
Old 08-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #11

What is all this about disassembly and marine grease i'm a noob i don't know how to rebuild axels and such? how will the losi benifit me?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Id suggest a Venom creeper, only $149 and in kit form. So you get to build and learn about it before you start crawling. Add a 45t integy motor, Moped esc and a TQ3 and you could be crawling for well under $300
Obeast44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeast44 View Post
Id suggest a Venom creeper, only $149 and in kit form. So you get to build and learn about it before you start crawling. Add a 45t integy motor, Moped esc and a TQ3 and you could be crawling for well under $300
The creeper crawls very well out of the box-but don't forget to get a set of HB rovers for $25 from TCS! Best $25 you could spend for your new rig.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #14

both the losi cc and the axial ax10 RTC not rtr are good rigs to begin with start there and see where the hobby takes you
gmosher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #15

I own a axial and a losi mini crawler they are both fun rigs. I would buy the one that you can afford. sometime you can find a used one at your local hobby shop or craigslist for a good price also
zach318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The AX10 is a little more expensive than the MRC, and will cost you more to get up to comp level.
However, the MRC isn't a 2.2.
That has its advantages and disadvantages. You can indoor crawl alot more with the MRC, but.... well, no buts.

Its a great rig, go with that. I have one and love it
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

This, like so many other things in the world all depend on your amount of desire and amount in the bank account. Some people will tell you to buy budget and see if you enjoy it. Others will tell you to buy the best at any cost. Yet others put you somewhere in the middle. The truth is buy what you like. The AX-10 is a good truck out of the box. Not the best and not the cheapest long term if you plan to get serious. That said it still will take you a long ways with minimal extra cash and will certainly give you a good learning vehicle. The Losi CC will cost a little more but is a bit nicer crawler overall. If you think you will be serious about crawling it would be worth it to put the extra cash in up front rather than replacing items down the road on an initially cheaper truck. Also consider if you can afford more cost at once or if you like doing smaller chuncks at a time, even if it means more total cost. The Berg is another great option. Another route to think about would be to go ultra cheap in something like the Cliff-Climber. It won't compete even at the local level but it is enough truck to get you hooked and is cheap enough that if you don't want it anymore you won't lose much on a used sale. It won't be as costly as any of the other options and should keep you satisfied long enough to then know what you are doing, what you can afford, what the competition is like locally, and how much you really like crawling. The Losi MRC is another option like the CC though a little more expensive and a little more capable. In the end you are the one driving the truck so buy what you like and what you think will keep you happy. This is all about fun in the end.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #18

Did you get a crawler yet, or busted out any crane windows?
race4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #19

race4fn+G@Y no but close i cancelled my order just so i could read more
Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #20

Which one are you leaning towards, I think you should go with a kit you have to build and than
buy that t3 with elecs. from hawkins so you get the experince of building a kit and seeing how
everythng goes together and works.
trust me you will wish you had the knowledge as soon as you get a rtr out and it starts breaking.

BTW watch those torches I hear they can burn your face!
race4fn is offline   Reply With Quote