Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scratch Build Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

Default Scratch Build Chassis

Im planning a scale rig that will be scratch built, chassis, body everything. Im new to scratch buidling a truck but i have messed with styrene and brazing in the past. I have a few questions: what would be a good material to make a chassis out of(aluminum?), and should it be c-channel or just flat stock. Also, can i just make the chassis completely straight or do i have to make curves or whatever where the axles will go for more travel?(i guess that kinda answers the questoin, but im not positive) i plan to just braze everything together as far as braces skid plates and cross members are concerned.
-thanks
redlineryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would go 1/2 square tube and bend it into shape then cut it down the middle. You do not have to have all the bends but the closer to the real thing the better. But pretty much on a scratch build its whatever floats your boat.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

instead of bending, i was thinking maybe doing angles, you know like 45*'s or somethin and either brazing together the pieces or cutting it out like that. problem is i dont have a band saw.. i saw on some other 6x6 builds people just doin flat frames and that would work too because i could just attatch brackets for my links. im open to any suggestions/better ideas though..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i have heard of people using dremels to cut the square tube metal down the middle. and you could cut angles, in 1:1 mini trucks when they lower them to hit the ground on airbags suspension, they c-notch the chassis in the rear. they also have bolt on kits and all the ones i have seen either bolt on or welded they are angled not rounded. it doesn't look bad at all. i dont know too much about brazing, but i heard aluminum is harder to braze, if you are familiar with it go for it. if not try brass. if you need to find some check here: www.mcmaster.com

give us some more info:

what body type? what scale? what parts? when do you plan on starting? what kind of time frame are you giving yourself to finish? fill us in on some more details.
edwalsh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

OK, more info: i plan to make the body out of styrene from scratch after the frame is done and i have all the suspension drive line together. i will be using axial axles because those are cheap and i am most familiar with them. it'll be 1:10, im thinking 2.2 with rc4wd dune x/t off-road tires. its going to be like a military style hauler/rescue truck with a tube cage, tool boxes along the side and a rack i will braze together up over the flat bed. i plan to make a trailer to haul my scx10 rubicon around, and my sc8 but not at the same time. i was thinking maybe a 2 speed trans. maybe a summit trans but im not sure how the elec's would work with so many channels(5 if i count correctly(all axles will stear), i want a pistol transmitter) i was going to do leafs but i decided i would just do 4 links with some short links and hang brackets off the frame with crossmembers for the shocks and inner links. maybe some rc4wd scale shocks in white? those are droop shocks right? open to suggestions on suspension too. as for time frame and when i plan to start that all comes down to money and seeing as how im 15 i need a job.( been tryin for a while now.. need a real truck) if you need any more info just ask.
-thanks

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...4c46ecfddb93ab - tires

any suggestions on wheels? and wheels tires for trailer?

Last edited by redlineryno; 08-19-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: mistake made
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #6

2 basic outline options to go from. im undecided on the over head cab or regular semi style cab.

or, and im leanin more towards this one

Last edited by redlineryno; 08-19-2009 at 09:01 PM.