Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Upgrading chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Upgrading chassis?

I pretty new to crawling with my ax10-scorpion, so far my mods are a BTA with 4 link, al knuckles, cv axles, 100mm HR air shocks, rear bent links, and panther tires.
The question is what mods are future proof in terms of chassis e.g. will the bent links I have now work with all chassis? I don't want to spend money on things that wil not work on the terrain/driving style. That leads me to my next question, how do you know which chassis will work for you. People on here have there favorites, I heard that the stock chassis is not the greatest (in terms of geometry).
Do I really need a different chassis to be competitive? I am not competing, but I would like for it to climb huge rocks like i've seen in videos. Could my stock chassis do that or do I need to spend the money. Would a dig help more than a new chassis? HELP!!
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfred View Post
I pretty new to crawling with my ax10-scorpion, so far my mods are a BTA with 4 link, al knuckles, cv axles, 100mm HR air shocks, rear bent links, and panther tires.
The question is what mods are future proof in terms of chassis e.g. will the bent links I have now work with all chassis?
Yes and no. All chassis will work with you links, however it may change your overall wheelbase. If you want to keep the links you have then you need to look for a chassis that has the same length skid, or that says it uses the stock length links.
I don't want to spend money on things that wil not work on the terrain/driving style.
Very understanable. A chassis, and suspension are going to work on any terrain, its the tires you have to worry about. For picking the right ones, consult the locals in your are.
That leads me to my next question, how do you know which chassis will work for you. People on here have there favorites, I heard that the stock chassis is not the greatest (in terms of geometry).
Stock chassis generally arent the best in terms of geometry and link placement, they have to appeal to to wide of an audiance, with to many diffrent styles of driving and crawling. Your best bet here is to see what people in your are are running, go out to some comps and watch others rigs work. Then decide which you do and dont like. It will give you some up close looks at what you will be buying.
Do I really need a different chassis to be competitive? I am not competing, but I would like for it to climb huge rocks like i've seen in videos.
This is as much about overall setup (chassis, suspension, tires and COG) as it is the right chassis.
Could my stock chassis do that or do I need to spend the money. Would a dig help more than a new chassis? HELP!!
A dig will help you, as will a new chassis. A good quality chassis is going to make your rig more capable and thats all there is too it. However, never underestimate the power of a good drill, and ingenuity. You can make the stock chassis perform alot better by popping holes in the right places.
Hope this helped
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

Grab yourself a Kamikaze chassis If you can't get one look for a CDW chassis.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Grab yourself a Kamikaze chassis If you can't get one look for a CDW chassis.

Can you still buy them?
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Say hello to my dactylion

Our Chaos Widemouth will bold right up to the axial AX-10 kit. Here are a few build threads with AX-10 parts.

PinchFlat's Reign Prototype 2.2 Comp Build

New Reign Products Comp Chassis Build

EP's ECC Reign RC Scwhorepion

PM me if you have any questions.
-Matt
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofreach View Post
Can you still buy them?

not sure if Im allowed to pimp this here, but:
Yes.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194193
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Suck it up!

I waited a looooong time before I upgraded my chassis, and that was only because I wanted to go droop. The stocker will work just fine and is capable when tuned right.

Don't be afraid to drill holes. My old stock chassis is now more air than metal.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default New chassis

I decided to go with TK- twister mfg, the small T-bone chassis. It was a good price, over half of what some of the other chassis cost. It doesn't have a lot of holes for the upper links though (3). I may have to do a build when it comes in.
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote