Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need input before I spend money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Need input before I spend money

I'm working on this project: Project: Rock Face txt-1

I did some side work last night and want to order parts today.

I have settled on an R2HD tranny, but am still up in the air on battery\motor combo.

I am thinking a 45t motor with 3s lipo, but would like some experienced input before I spend some hard earned cash.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That's a good looking project! It's good to see folks still using the TXT axles for builds.

I run a TXT super and when I initally built the truck, it had a Stampede tranny and a 55T lathe motor with a 7cell NiMH battery and the truck performed terribly. The motor did not have enough torque and almost NO wheelspeed. I recently swapped in a 10T puller and 3S lipo and the truck is incredibly fast! I will soon be installing a set of 4:1 diff gears (in place of the current stock 2:1 gears) made by Egressor and I think that will be a perfect setup for this truck.

I'm not sure if this helps, because the tranny gear ratios are probably not the same, but it should give you an idea on where to start.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have already ordered the 4:1 axle internals from Egressor and have been tossing around the idea of a Holmes 10t puller, but they are pricey. I want to get it running first, then maybe upgrade to that.

An brushless out runner is also an oprion, but I have no idea which to choose there.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well, I run the Astroflight 10T puller, not the HH. Either should have the power and torque that you need....especially with the 4:1 gears!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, I'll look into that!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The 10t are more than I want to spend right now, but surely can see it as an upgrade path. For now I want to get it running, the tranny and lipo will eat a good chunk of available budget.

How about the Integy 35t? It should give more wheel speed, will it hold up to 11.1v? and will it be enough motor to power this rig?

I have a single Monster Maxx Pro 19t 550 can right now, so I have a motor, just not an ideal motor.

A 10t brushless puller or 10t holmes puller certainly look ideal, but that will have to wait for the holidays.

so, 35t or 45t on 3s or stick with the Monster Maxx I have until I can get a 10T?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would say a 45T handwound out of your current options...that MM wont have the torque you need.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I would say a 45T handwound out of your current options...that MM wont have the torque you need.
Thanks. The 45t are cheap enough and will get me running. I do not plan on doing comps, just playing around, so it should hold me over until I can swing a 10t, thanks for your help of a confused noob.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i think you will be very happy with a 45t on 3s!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
The 10t are more than I want to spend right now, but surely can see it as an upgrade path. For now I want to get it running, the tranny and lipo will eat a good chunk of available budget.

How about the Integy 35t? It should give more wheel speed, will it hold up to 11.1v? and will it be enough motor to power this rig?

I have a single Monster Maxx Pro 19t 550 can right now, so I have a motor, just not an ideal motor.

A 10t brushless puller or 10t holmes puller certainly look ideal, but that will have to wait for the holidays.

so, 35t or 45t on 3s or stick with the Monster Maxx I have until I can get a 10T?
what motor
some dyno results
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote