Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Hello to everyone, noob looking for some direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Default Hello to everyone, noob looking for some direction

Hi everyone, as a long time nitro guy, I would really love one of the super crawlers, but this was my budget, I just got an old used Axial ax-10. I have been playing around with it for a few days now and I would just like to ask a few questions about it. First off, the throttle is kinda twitchy and when i turn the drift up on the throttle so it feels better, then reverse is a pain to work. Is this the esc?

Second q, what would be the best motor for this rig, I am thinking of the old standby, Novak 55t. and what run times are you guys getting with a pack? Battery is another thing on my list. I have a 2400 6pack in it now, but I think it may be getting a bit weak.

Third q, this is a pretty much stock rig with plastic links and such, what would be the best performing upgrade I can do on the cheap? I noticed all the yokes are metal except one, and that one is messed up and has stripped the output shaft on the tranny. Right now I have it JB welded on and it is working suprisingly well. I think i will replace the whole tranny when it goes. See some good deals on ebay sometimes.

And finally, what is a good gear combo for this rig? Right now it has a 20/87 and seems a little tall. Or maybe it's just the crappy throttle control.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

14/87 is alot better. If you have the money scrap the stock ESC & motor. You'll love a Novak Rooster Crawler W/55 or 45 turn motor. Let us know if you want to comp or just play around and how much your budget is and people on here can suggest Mild to WILD setups.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

welcome the cheapest i say is springs supersoft in front then soft or med for back get a saddle pack 7 cell to mount on front axle i ue the same motor novak 55 gearing i run 14/90 works for me its twitchy from the stock electronics arnt that good with the above i get about 45 min to an hour with 1500mh 7 cell saddle hit up the search bar youll find everything you would want to know
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, I was thinking it was probably the stock tronics. And if I remember right, the stock axial motor is like a 27t isn't it? My budget is pretty much as little as possible right now on a account I'm basically unemployed right now. I am not planning on comp, but I am kinda ocd and like to have good parts when it comes to my toys and such if at all possible. I found a 3 channel radio and receiver on ebay for 35 bucks and ordered that. I have heard very good things about the Rooster, but not sure if I can swing that yet. I have'nt even told the woman that i just blew 125 bucks on the crawler to begin with...

EDIT** The run times sounds great, I get about 15 minutes on mine now before it starts getting twitchy and maybe another 15 minutes before it starts getting really sluggy. NiMH batteries are fine for this rig? Or should i stick with the NiCDs?

Last edited by bruteforce; 09-01-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

is your truck twitchy when the battery is getting low or when the battery is fully charged? Your next upgrade should be the esc, or battery then work on all the other goodies. 125. bucks nice find. welcome to your new addiction..
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #6

Kinda twitchy when fully charged (for 15 minutes or so) and then pretty bad after that. And hell, I just bought a Novak Rooster for 35 bucks, almost there...

P.S. And no, I'm not addicted, I am a recreational user. I can stop any time I want to.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

saddle pack is a must! try to lower everything on it a pic of it would help. a 55t with 14/87 gearing is a great combo, on 7+cells the 55t will really shine, and a new or diffrent radio would probaly help the glitch
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #8

Used one of my other radios and it didn't really help. I think it's the esc. I think my plan at this time is to get into this Axial and learn some stuff, then take all the upgraded electronics and put them into a new kit in a few months. I'm liking the Venom, and aftermarket supply seems to be doing better every week. But we'll see...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Used one of my other radios and it didn't really help. I think it's the esc. I think my plan at this time is to get into this Axial and learn some stuff, then take all the upgraded electronics and put them into a new kit in a few months. I'm liking the Venom, and aftermarket supply seems to be doing better every week. But we'll see...

Man ya got ax10. It is a great place to start, the venom has nothing on it. If ya got a rooster, gear the stock 27t down with a 11-12t pinion and get a better battery ( say go lipo 2s). Then some good tires and a servo. Go wheel the thing and play with tuning. Practice-practice-practice will take ya far.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote