Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Frustrated and going broke; HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Frustrated and going broke; HELP!

So I got a WK when they first came out, had a great fun bashing, I like to crawl but am not intending to build a comp crawler, just something capable and fun.

I added a crawler conversion and a new servo, the servo broke and two shocks broke while crawling. So now my wallet is empty fixing those problems and the WK isnt working any more.

The electronics are not working, ESC/motor/batt. I give throttle and it is so weak it cant crawl over my foot even, I tried discharging and recharging the GP3300 and still it sucks, I cleaned the motor, checked the leads... Also reverse is just for a blip and then stops and repeats...

I gather its time for a new ESC/motor/batt?

I have a broken MM5700 and a broken SS5800, (each from my rustler) but each of thoes to refurbish is 80$+ and I gather neither would be any good for a crawler/basher, right?

So where would you guys go from here?

I guess lipo/brushless is the best bet but tons of $, is the performance with brushless as noticeable in a crawler as it is in a fast rustler type application?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Mekong; 09-01-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If you are broke because you broke two shocks and a servo I suggest you either get a job, or pick a cheaper hobby...maybe knitting. Although that might cost too much as well.

Have a look here in the for sale section for a used rooster crawler, 55 turn motor and a new battery to get you going. Could probably get it all for $100 easily. Oh and buy a towerdpro servo...about $20 from the venders on the board here.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekong View Post

I guess lipo/brushless is the best bet but tons of $, is the performance with brushless as noticeable in a crawler as it is in a fast rustler type application?

Any ideas?
x2 on the cheap high torque servo.

also in crawling brushed has the advantage over brushless due to smoother throttle control. Basically gear down and volt up. Your looking for quickness not top speed . IMHO the ESC is the one thing you want to get as good as you can afford. I would suggest finding you a good CC sidewinder...later you can spring for a Mamba or tekin.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Oh I guess I wasnt clear, I already bought a JR Sport ST126MG today, seems great, way better than the 645MG I ripped out of my rustler.

As far as $ goes, I have too many hobbies... I just dropped a ton on a lift for my Jeep WJ and new tires, am in the middle of a kitchen and home remodel, keeping a salt water reef tank and a few other freshwater tanks, and to top it off PC gaming, my budget for each is getting spread too thin lol, but its all fun and I wouldnt drop any of em!

Back on topic...

I at least need a new motor and spur gear, what gearing and what motor would be a good motor that I wouldnt have to replace when I get a new ESC, something that would make a good rock racer I guess you would call it? I guess I am looking to get things one part at a time.

Thanks for the advice so far, off to in-and-out for a cheap burger lol
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

mekong - my 2 cents.

1. fix all the broken sh_t first.

2. with a fully charged battery and you can't roll over your toes, go with a new esc and motor. novak/35t motor for crawling and 27t for rock racing.

3. see if LHS can rebuild your motor, cut comm/new brushes, then you only need to buy an esc.

4. salt water reef tanks are bad a$$, used to own one(2ft long snowflake eel). once you sell it - the money saved from the electric bill will buy you a better set up.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Its a hobby not the end of the world

I say sell what you have left to help take care of some of your bills. Get back into the hobby when you get back on your feet. You could take a break from the hobby. Just keep your rig and put it under your bed and make it a slowly built project to help your stress level.:?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I dont mean broke like bills are an issue, just the RC budget has run dry...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Rc budget

Quote:
I dont mean broke like bills are an issue, just the RC budget has run dry...

Ok we all understand now. In that case its all about " Want vs Need ".:?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

1:1 Jeep takes precedence

So I got most of the bugs worked out on the WK, turns out my 2.4ghz radio end points were screwy and I cycled the battery overnight and its life back.

So I guess I can salvage enough for a new motor for now.

I was wondering how fast I could expect out of a 55t, 45t, and 35t motor with stock ESC and 7.2v nihm, and what brand to get!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
Been there, done that

Quote:

I was wondering how fast I could expect out of a 55t, 45t, and 35t motor with stock ESC and 7.2v nihm, and what brand to get!
I would get a 35t or a 45t, a 55t would probably be a little on the slow side. Brand wise, you can't beat a HH motor.
t_kirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If I were you, I'd sell off the WK and buy a good used comp rig out of the classified section. I say this as you'll find yourself breaking and upgrading parts and spending a small fortune on stuff to get a decent rig. Most of the rigs FS in the classifieds have all the necessary upgrades and are cheaper than buying all the parts bit by bit.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever buy a new rig again. Let someone else work out the bugs first I say. Properly upgraded, most crawlers are pretty tough.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Do I need to have a certin # of posts to see classifieds on here? Im not seeing it... Sorry if this should be obvious..... Or is there not one on this site....
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default This is why

Quote:
Do I need to have a certin # of posts to see classifieds on here? Im not seeing it... Sorry if this should be obvious..... Or is there not one on this site....

30 days with 30 post on this site and you'll see the for sell section. You could buy a star and see that section right now.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yes, thirty posts, your almost there! lol
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
Jeep whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
If I were you, I'd sell off the WK and buy a good used comp rig out of the classified section. I say this as you'll find yourself breaking and upgrading parts and spending a small fortune on stuff to get a decent rig. Most of the rigs FS in the classifieds have all the necessary upgrades and are cheaper than buying all the parts bit by bit.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd ever buy a new rig again. Let someone else work out the bugs first I say. Properly upgraded, most crawlers are pretty tough.
x2
scale4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys you have been a great deal of help!

I guess Im gonna go with a new 45t integey motor (good/bad idea?).

Its really hard to balance all these hobbies... I still need to upgrade my front drive shaft on my Jeep and get rock sliders... so getting a new crawler is distant for me... I wana sell the reef tank but my girlfriend would not let me unless I find a "good" home for her beloved fu-manchu lion fish...

Well trying to get those 30 so I can start looking for deals...

(there needs to be a ::cheers:: emote on here...)

-=off topic=- been watching a 4 hour stand off with the police at my neighbors house about 5 houses down, so gonna be up late cause there is loud speakers and police lights flashing in the windows... Sad, but might as well sit back, drink some beer and watch the drama....

Last edited by Mekong; 09-03-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
-=off topic=- been watching a 4 hour stand off with the police at my neighbors house about 5 houses down, so gonna be up late cause there is loud speakers and police lights flashing in the windows... Sad, but might as well sit back, drink some beer and watch the drama....

Northern California? Must be a grow-op Hope your other neighbours are better.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post

Northern California? Must be a grow-op Hope your other neighbours are better.
Nope was a meth head threatening to kill cops or himself...

Either way, got all the bugs worked out and installed a integy 55t, just now.

WOW

I think I'm happy with the truck for now... Time to save up for the real jeep so I can get to the really fun crawling spaces both 1:1 and 1:10

TY guys
Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

31 posts, where is the sales/classifieds, Im not seeing it...