Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Axial Ax10 project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Default New Axial Ax10 project

Just picked up my first crawler.......an ARTR ax10.....

Here are my parts so far:
- Stock Ax10
- specktrum DX3.0
- novak 2s goat crawler ESC
- 55t motor (not sure what kind......see future mods)
- running a 6 cell NIMH 5000......heavy!!!!!
- HITEC high torque servo....best servo I could find at 333 oz torque @ 6 volts, I think......

Parts on order:
- vanquish knuckles (going to use these to fab up some sort of BTA)
- HB rovers soft
- full set of springs.....super soft through firm
- high clearance arms for the front
- Hot racing dig unit
- axial aluminum c hub carrier
- SWX chassis kit

Future mods:
- Novak 21.5 turn brushless
- possible radio swap to 4PK
- possible 3s novak goat ESC
- definetly going to MIP CVD's, I have spun the stock rear drive shaft off twice already...it was bound up pretty bad in some rocks and they are pretty weak...
- 2s lipo mounted to front axle

Not sure what my plans are, but I would like to at least get in a group or maybe even a comp just to f off and see what it's like.....

Mainly just trying to get a feel of what some of the more weathered folks think about the setup for my ax10......
SteeleFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks like you've spent a wad of cash so far. Jumping in with both feet aren't you. I like your setup so far but I would drive more before I spent any more money on upgrades. Go to a comp first & see what everyone in your area is running. This is just a suggestion .You can spend whatever you want.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Pretty much.....I have several 2 channel radios that i was planning on using, but then wanted one that i could use a dig with....didn't realize that the 3rd channel on the specktrum was only a 2 pos...

I already had the batteries, charger.....and was able to get everything else on sale.....picked up my nephew an HPI cralwer king and it was awesome....so went back and picked up the artr, radio and the ESC and the guy through the motor in for free.....also already had the servo from when I modded my daughters ride on jeep to RC cause I was tired of pushing it.......ended up jumping to a 1/4 scale high torque on that....

Total i am pushing close to 800....not too bad...with the HPI it's actually 1100 that I spent.....someone is getting rich and it aint me

I plan on hanging out with what i have, and seeing how things go....lots of deployments coming up in the next 3 years....
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Alot Of Cool Stuff, But

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Looks like you've spent a wad of cash so far. Jumping in with both feet aren't you. I like your setup so far but I would drive more before I spent any more money on upgrades. Go to a comp first & see what everyone in your area is running. This is just a suggestion .You can spend whatever you want.

I agree you should slow down on the big dollar buys. Sometimes its not how much money you spend, but how much time you spend practicing with what you have. Money spent doesn't always mean first place.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

I was able to get most of the things on sale......already had the batteries and charger from other RC projects.......I think all wound up, I am about 800 deep.......not too bad imho.....

But definetly taking a halt here, and seeing how things go......I am not looking to purchase anything else, except maybe a 2s lipo(all I have are 3s for my planes)......

Mainly hints and insights on setup and maybe some free mods that will help out with driveability......
Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I agree with them. Sounds like a fun rig though. I wish I could spend that kind of bank...
ihcj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I can't really commment on whats good etc, as I am a noob too. However, if you JUST bought that servo. I must ask how much you payed for it. If you payed $120 (which I believe is retail), I must le tyou know that the new hitec 7950th is out, and several sources have them for $120 as well. THey do 403oz/in@6v, or 486oz/in @7.4v, and they are designed to run 7.4v or 2s lipo unregulated.
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote