Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: advice for choosing a first crwaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default advice for choosing a first crwaler

I've been wanting to get a crawler for some time, and i've narrowed it down to 3 to choose from. First, there's a losi mini crawler for sale near me, and for around the same price is a tamiya cc-01. So i'm trying to decide which one to get. And maybe for a little more i'd get an axial ax10, but i don't know if i have the coin yet. What do you recommend?
dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

it depends on what you want to do. the cc-01 is a scaler and the mini rock crawler and the ax10 are more comp rigs out of the box. Mods and upgrades are still needed to make it a true crawler but they do well out of the box
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

skip the cc-01 and the mini....

go for the axial....
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

I will tell you this dont do what i did, Rubired and bbyrd let me run their rigs that are hooked up so when i got my mini i was not satisfied with it in stock form. I knew what it could be capable of so right off the bat i dropped another 100 on it and am looking for a chassis for it. I also have an axial on order and want a scale rig also.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

as it's been said in most of these threads...my opinion is to figure out what your budget is, then read about individual crawlers and see which one fits into that. most out of the box crawlers you'll want to upgrade soon after...so take that into consideration. when i was shopping for my first crawler, i opted for a fairly cheap one (redcat rs-10) and knew ahead of time there was no aftermarket support, but that's the fun for me...figuring out what will work for it. if you're fairly low budget, i'd recommend an rs-10 for sure.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default I just don't know

It seems like that money you have is burning your pockets, but before you go and spend it think carefully first. Do you want a mini crawler, a 1/10 scale comp crawler or a true scaler. Once you figure that out We could really help you then.:?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default .

Save your money and when you can afford it buy the AX10 or save a hole lot more money and get a Berg! MOA's for ever
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Don't go burg or MOA. I like the realism of a shafty rig. Get either the AX10 or the Losi mrc. Both can be sweet crawlers. The cool thing about the Losi is you don't need a huge rock garden to crawl on because of its size. I profer the Axial tho. It is EASY to mod and IMO the best 2.2 shafty rig out there. As for the cc01 skip it. If is is scale you want go with the SCX10 by Axial.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I like the mini because the smaller size allows me to find more things that would be a challenge for me around here. I feel that the bigger ax10 might just walk over everything i've got around me. And for scale, i guess i don't need it perfect, but i want a body of a real vehicle, and i don't like seeing the tires an inch in front of and behind the wheel openings in the body. I've seen some people use the losi mini and put a body on it and they came out looking pretty nice. OF course i would love to get an axial, but i don't know if i have the coin right now for a hobbie i haven't even tried yet.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

im gonna check out the rs-10, or maybe a used axial for under 200 if i can find.

Last edited by dirtymike; 09-07-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
RCC Addict

dirtymike, do a search for "rs10" on here and browse some of the other posts folks have made about that rig and you can see what mods people are doing with them. it's a good starter rig for bashing around in the backyard with. i've had mine for a little over 2 months and have a blast with it. good luck on your choice.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

cc-01 sucks for crawling i got an AX-10 and drove my cc-01 3 times in 8 monthes then sold it just so i could drive my new losi and turn the ax in to a scaler
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote