Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need your input - Scaler or Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need your input - Scaler or Crawler?

OK, so I got an AX10 RTC a few weeks ago and I've been looking at some build and picture threads of scalers as well as some videos and right now I'm kind of regretting getting the AX10 and not the SCX10.

Now I've been thinking about getting the TCS X-Trail chassis and swapping everything over. However, I'm not sure if this is a good idea... Is the TCS X-trail worth it? Also, how good is it at crawling? I understand it won't be as good as the AX10, but relative to the AX10 how good is it?

Also, is the X-trail meant for 1.9" tires or 2.2's? I'd have to use the 2.2's for now but would that be something I'd have to change eventually?

I'm really on the fence about this because the X-Trail is $40, and my friend has offered to sell me saddle packs and battery plates for $40 as well and if I get one, I don't need the other, so... just want to hear both sides.

Thanks.
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I am building a X-Trail right now, it is a good chassis, get the hardware that goes with it. The biggest problem is a lack of scale bodies. Most of the really good scale bodies have a short WB. If I do this again I'd likely go with a SCX10 or Tamiya chassis. The SCX because its chassis is C-channel and the Tamiya for all of the great scale hard-bodies you can get for it.

Hope this helps.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im in the same boat...kinda.

I have a ax10 ARTR with alot of time and $ in it, and use it a good bit. but ive also just bought a scx10 roller off here and am waiting on some parts to start building it. once I get it running and whatnot, I'll probally play with it more than my crawler....

I say if you can, do both. Two different worlds if you ask me.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You would not have started this thread unless you wanted the scaler. You already have an ax10 but it sounds like you would rather have the scaler. I would get an scx10 chassis from TCS. There about 60 bucks. Alot more options are coming out for scale trucks and as far as capable I've seen some amazingly capable scale rigs.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i'm a wicked X-trail nut.
just go for it, be sure to get the hardware kit with it.
it's just easier on you in the long run.

here's mine.
Meet the Crunko <---------

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I am building a X-Trail right now, it is a good chassis, get the hardware that goes with it. The biggest problem is a lack of scale bodies. Most of the really good scale bodies have a short WB. If I do this again I'd likely go with a SCX10 or Tamiya chassis. The SCX because its chassis is C-channel and the Tamiya for all of the great scale hard-bodies you can get for it.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I am finding the lack of bodies to be slightly irritating. Do you know what the WB is for the Tamiya Hilux and F350's? I can't find that info on towerhobbies website.

I don't want to buy the SCX chassis because its WB is even longer than the X-Trail's and that limits the bodies even more, and buying a Tamiya is out because I don't have enough money to buy another car but if I were to do it again I'd probably get a CC-01 or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
You would not have started this thread unless you wanted the scaler. You already have an ax10 but it sounds like you would rather have the scaler. I would get an scx10 chassis from TCS. There about 60 bucks. Alot more options are coming out for scale trucks and as far as capable I've seen some amazingly capable scale rigs.
You're right about not starting the thread if I didn't want a scaler... I guess this is a sign I should do it.

I want to get the TCS chassis instead of the SCX because it is cheaper and has an adjustable wheelbase. Finding a body is going to be the hard part...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
i'm a wicked X-trail nut.
just go for it, be sure to get the hardware kit with it.
it's just easier on you in the long run.

here's mine.
Meet the Crunko <---------

Yeah I checked out your build and I love the servo winch. That is a great idea... I want to do it sometime.

Also, are those 1.9's or 2.2's in that pic? Eventually I'd like to put 1.9's on there but I want to see what it looks like with 2.2's since that's what I have right now.

Also, the Tamiya Hilux bodies are $50 for a complete set. May have to go Lexan for this body...