Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Putting holes in tire (for air)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Putting holes in tire (for air)

So i know you are supposed to punch a hole in a tire to let air out etc. So far I have not done so, as I new I would be near water, but not anymore. I don't want to drill the rim cuz I have lead weights in there, which makes it diffcult.

I was wondering if tehre is a specific part of the tire to puncture. Do you guys puncutre the sidewall, or the actual tread area. In the center, or off to the side?

Or, does it not matter?
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Keep it real

Right in the center of the tread area is what I've seen. I prefer venting my rims, as we often encounter water here, but a local has his tires vented and it works just as well as venting the rims for him. I can see how having it wrapped with lead could be troublesome to get proper venting though
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

Just wrap your lead and drill through it, that's what I do. If you drill the wheel you can tap it and plug it if needed. If you do cut the tire some guys do 2 holes. If your tire is down against a rock when the vent hole is on it, it can't vent. So the guys do 2 holes to stop that. Center of the tire, not the side. But you are much better off drilling the wheel.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

x2 for both, just wrap the weight and drill threw the rim and weights, lead is about as hard to drill as cold butter
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #5

I have drilled the stock axial rims with two small holes works good. I have a noob part to this question would you drill spendy wheels like Vanquish or do they come with holes.
putzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
x2 for both, just wrap the weight and drill threw the rim and weights, lead is about as hard to drill as cold butter
Yeah drill through the rim and weights.

Vanquish Pro Comps can be ordered with the holes. That is how I ordered mine. I would drill through them also if they didnt. As long as you can hold a drill steady it wont cause any negative effect.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

To answer your question, punch the hole in the center, between some lugs and you're good.

I do 4 holes, I've NEVER ripped a tire. And actually I vent the wheels and tires. I do not want air to be any detriment to my foam set up.
Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i always vented my wheels never tried venting the tire. I had my wheels wrapped with lead and never had any venting problems since i drilled through the lead also. you can tap the hole on the wheels to plug it when you want to run in water but u cant plug the tires when you wanna go thru water that ive seen.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I vent my tire by snipping a diamond shape hole. That way if I ever wanted to plug them back up, it wouldn't be difficult just to pull it all back together and glue it. It's held up for me so far.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

lol, i don't wan tto take the tires of to drill it. Its a real PITA to get those oversize foams to fit in. O well, it seems that is the best way to do, cuz i can seal it if need be.
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote