Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wheelie King P.O.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Wheelie King P.O.S.

I have a wheelie king that is a piece of crap. Doesnt even do wheelies like it says. right out of box not enough power. I purchased a traxxas Stinger 20t but not fast enough or not enough torque. I want a motor that will go faster and will actually do wheelies like hpi claims. and like the video on hpi show the wheelie king doing. does any one have a idea of what motor will help me. I dont want it going 40mph, i guess around 20-30 would be good enough but right now it sucks, and almost ready to sell it so i can get my gas trucks back running.

Can anyone help me?
ILgofast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Do you have another battery to try? It is probably either battery or speed controller related. Have you contacted HPI?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd have to agree its probably the battery... mine in stock form was actually quite fun.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

X2. Out of the box mine wouldn't keep the front tires on the ground.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Try charging an discharging the battery a few times. When I first got mine to took a couple of cycles to get the battery to peak up and after that I could get wheelys on demand.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Same, 45 minutes on the quick charge and I was having a blast with my wk.
Attached Images

SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Never had any problems like that? I have two, and both could do a wheelie with no problem right out of the box, I stripped the rear diff gears on the first one after a couple months, and the second one is still running strong, wheelie's on demand, every time, with stock motor and electronics.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Just jump it!

Sounds like Operator error!!!
J/k Volt up!!!!
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

x100 I got mine used and still had a blast.
lucky13offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

When mine was stock, even with the cheapo included stick pack, you couldn't keep the front tires down.

If it's been sitting on a shelf for a while, the battery may just be lame.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #11

From spike x's picture you have the 2wd version. Mine is the new 4wd bounty hunter. and I use the cheap stick pack that came with it. 1500mah and it might not work that well. I use a dynamite sport quick charge, so maybe I messed up the battery. And i noticed that mine does not have the jolt esc. Is that the problem. Would buying a hpi 20t motor help? Maybe the traxas 20t stinger is not a double so that is why it doesnt have the torque to gets the wheels up. Is there any advice instead of just telling me yours works fine.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILgofast2 View Post
From spike x's picture you have the 2wd version. Mine is the new 4wd bounty hunter. and I use the cheap stick pack that came with it. 1500mah and it might not work that well. I use a dynamite sport quick charge, so maybe I messed up the battery. And i noticed that mine does not have the jolt esc. Is that the problem. Would buying a hpi 20t motor help? Maybe the traxas 20t stinger is not a double so that is why it doesnt have the torque to gets the wheels up. Is there any advice instead of just telling me yours works fine.
First i would recommend a 7 cell battery. If you have the HPI 1 esc, it can handle it.
The 20 turn stinger that i have didnt seem to much better than the stock 27 turn so i put it back in!!
I did put a trinity 15 t in for a bit but things got hot!!
Also drop down to a 18t pinion if your still running the stock one.

Check out the wk section there is tons more advice there also!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

mine wheelied all the time too, and when i reversed it for crawling it would wheelie and steer
Nitro_Geezer_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Are the bounty hunter (monster truck versions) longer?? they look longer.. Mine does not wheelie any more now that I stretched it and I have a traxxas 12 turn in it ..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Are the bounty hunter (monster truck versions) longer?? they look longer.. Mine does not wheelie any more now that I stretched it and I have a traxxas 12 turn in it ..
The WB should still be 9.4", it's just different bodies. It's kind of ironic saying that you have the Bounty Hunter one and it can't wheelie, yet Jimmy Creten can pull wheelie almost no problem with the real one lol
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #16

Rotten belly, thanks. I did the same thing. the stinger sucks. I put the stock 27t back in. what 7 cell are you talking about how many mah? i just want my truck to do wheelie and act like the real bounty hunter. bashing, crashing, and jumping. any advice on what motor to get next? since the stinger is junk and a waste of money. would changing to a 18tooth gear wouldnt that make the top speed slower? I borrowed a ?t mod motor( mystery motor,dont know how mant turns) from neighbor and it had faster top speed but not enough torque to get it movingor pull it off the ground. i would have to push the truck to get it to move. I dont want to have to get a new esc to handle a lower turn motor, but if i have to. any advice or ideas of what i should try next. I'm not looking for 30+mph, more around 12-20mph. just a decent speed. would the hpi20t motor be fast enough, or should i go to a 19 or 15 mod motor?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

When I first got mine I threw an old traxxas 23t titan from an emaxx in it and had a blast.

For a 7 cell battery I'd recomend an elite pack from cheapbatterypacks.com, I run them in all my rigs and have never had a single issue with them. For your mah rating, the higher the number the longer you can play between charges, so just get what you can afford.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #18
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILgofast2 View Post
Rotten belly, thanks. I did the same thing. the stinger sucks. I put the stock 27t back in. what 7 cell are you talking about how many mah? i just want my truck to do wheelie and act like the real bounty hunter. bashing, crashing, and jumping. any advice on what motor to get next? since the stinger is junk and a waste of money. would changing to a 18tooth gear wouldnt that make the top speed slower? I borrowed a ?t mod motor( mystery motor,dont know how mant turns) from neighbor and it had faster top speed but not enough torque to get it movingor pull it off the ground. i would have to push the truck to get it to move. I dont want to have to get a new esc to handle a lower turn motor, but if i have to. any advice or ideas of what i should try next. I'm not looking for 30+mph, more around 12-20mph. just a decent speed. would the hpi20t motor be fast enough, or should i go to a 19 or 15 mod motor?
I am running a 7 cell 8.4 volt 4200 mah in my sons rig. Like this.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTZF8&P=SM

Dropping to a 18 will make it slower, but will give more torque to lift the wheels.
You other option would be to upgrade the speed controller. You could pick up a used XL-5 for around 30 to 40 bucks and drop in a nice 15 turn mod motor and wheely till the bar grinds off!!
You could post a wanted add on here for the xl-5, someone almost always selling one!!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #19

thanks I will have to try it. I seen a lot of people wanting the XL 5 because of its water proof. how many turns will it handle. i will have to wait a little while till i get some more money to buy the bigger battery, motor and esc. But now i know what to buy instead of wasting more money trying to find something that will suit my needs. I already had looked at all the wheelie king post up to page 76. with no luck of any one wanting the WK to bash and not crawl. If i could i would fit a small gas motor on it but then i wouldn't have reverse. thanks again everyone for the help and advice. I will have to try the XL-5 with the titan 12t motor. and maybe change the gear too.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
Just jump it!

Check out chongdiggas thread. Theres lots of go fast info in it!!
My sand king