Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new kyosho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Question new kyosho

im new to crawling i just got a kyosho i put it together and i got a novak with a 55t motor and its very slow what kind of motor can i use to make it a lil faster and not loose torque and one more question it seems like it wont articulate that good im running 10 waight oil
wichol98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

RockForce? You can get the faster gear kit for it. Worm axles are slow to begin with. Try a 35T and see how you like it. Check the RockForce forum and see what the guys are running in theirs.

The shock oil isn't going to limit your flex. And 10 is very thin! h much flex are you wanting? To much can be a bad thing. Do some reading here on the forum and you will find out everything you need to know Start in the RF forum though!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

thenks
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Kenny is right,there's lots of info around RCC for tuning the suspension. Just about all the suspension tuning tips from any platform will work,just have to apply it to your build and find the set up you like best. There's LOTS of options there

As far as the worm geared axles,they are a totally different animal compared to the standard ring and pinion axles,like Axial,Wheely Kings,TLT's and such. Motor,gearing and ESC set up's will vary some between the two. Between the Kyosho section and the Losi section,you should be able to find some helpful info.

Typically,a worm driven axle will need a higher geared tranny,faster motor and high voltage to overcome the low gear in the axle. There is allot of friction to overcome in a worm gear. That will generally cause more heat in the motor,ESC and batteries. You'll want to make sure the motor,ESC and your batteries can handle higher amperage than most. Good quality 30c lipos,good quality motors and a ESC like the Mamba Max would be where I would start. A new ESC that will be out soon will laugh at those higher amp draw situations......Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

tattokenny said to try a 35t motor does it have to be a crawler motor or any 35t motor
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

35t would be a good start. Any ol' 35t will be the same as any,unless you go with a TorqueMaster Pro Handwound . The handwound motors will provide better low end power and they'll spool up faster as well.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

you got good advice from those post. your best friend now would be some time spent on the rockforce threads where you will need to read most of the build threads, there are tons of very usefull info to help you deciding on the right equipment and set-up for the RF.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I read some where that the worm gears aren't made to spin fast...anyone spin one TO fast???
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
I read some where that the worm gears aren't made to spin fast...anyone spin one TO fast???
I've yet to build mine,no time.:-( I did however break the gears in. I turned my drill press on high,about 1500 rpm's. I then chucked the pinion up in the chuck and turned the drill press on. Let it run for about 2 hours with zero oil or grease. They handled that just fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I've yet to build mine,no time.:-( I did however break the gears in. I turned my drill press on high,about 1500 rpm's. I then chucked the pinion up in the chuck and turned the drill press on. Let it run for about 2 hours with zero oil or grease. They handled that just fine.
that is a cool way to break in the axles....
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote