Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new to rock crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Default new to rock crawling

i just got into crawling and i am trying to figure out what modifications i should do to my axial scorpion! please help me out
chasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to your new obsession!!!!

The best thing to do is to search the AX10 forum for upgrades (it is always best to search before posting).

The weak link on the AX10 are the Axels, they pop off easiely when under a load, to fix it you can get after-market aluminum axels or get rings for the U-Joins. I am running Traxxas axels with HR rings and really haven't had a problem. I don't beef the axels up any more than this because this is my weakest point of the drive train, it is also the easiest, quickest, and least expensive to repair.

As far as the rest of it goes, you'll hear a lot of advice, I recommend you run your truck, go to a couple of comps, you'll figure out what you want to upgrade.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default .

Start surfing the threads! Good luck
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Theres soooo maaaannnyyyy threads here regarding axial... Its depends on how much are you willing to spend.. Start using the search button.
CHRIZAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just got mine a month ago but I spent a month searching and reading on here before that so when I got it I was ready to make tweaks.

In fact I had some stuff ordered before I bought my crawler.

There are so many options its a matter of choice.

I didn't get a chance for pics but if you search my name you will see my post and changes I made when I first got mine.

I just made some more and dropped the ride height 5/8" and it really helped a lot, I was worried I went to low as it is at 2-5/8" to bottom of chassis now.

Good luck and have fun...
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Run it! Learn to drive! Practice! Practice! Practice!
Play with springs, shocks, tire weight, link placement. Up grade what breaks and/or ya don't like. Read, search, ask questions. Go to some local comps and see what others are doing. Watch, learn, ask questions! Welcome to the money pit addiction
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Welcome to your new obsession!!!!

The best thing to do is to search the AX10 forum for upgrades (it is always best to search before posting).

The weak link on the AX10 are the Axels, they pop off easiely when under a load, to fix it you can get after-market aluminum axels or get rings for the U-Joins. I am running Traxxas axels with HR rings and really haven't had a problem. I don't beef the axels up any more than this because this is my weakest point of the drive train, it is also the easiest, quickest, and least expensive to repair.

As far as the rest of it goes, you'll hear a lot of advice, I recommend you run your truck, go to a couple of comps, you'll figure out what you want to upgrade.
I believe he means the driveshafts not the axles there is really nothing wrong with the axles on the AX-10 in fact it is very common to use these axles on scale builds as far as driveshafts the stock ones will pop off pretty easy if bound up but MIP makes some steel ones that are awesome I have some and they work really well.
landon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasek View Post
i just got into crawling and i am trying to figure out what modifications i should do to my axial scorpion! please help me out
What doesn't it do that you'd like for it to do?

The limit is money basically
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Run it! Learn to drive! Practice! Practice! Practice!
Play with springs, shocks, tire weight, link placement. Up grade what breaks and/or ya don't like. Read, search, ask questions. Go to some local comps and see what others are doing. Watch, learn, ask questions! Welcome to the money pit addiction
How many times are you going to give out this wonderful advice....

he's right, run your rig, change one thing...run it again, see what works. The first thing I would do is beef up the drivelines..cause if your broke...you can't learn what your rig can do...but you can learn how to fix it...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the empty pocket club
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Small zip ties around the driveshafts hold them together pretty good for cheap. You want the tie to clamp down on the yoke part so it doesn't spread open and pop apart. Once they pop open they don't last long, either popping very often or tearing apart fairly quickly.

Get some thin plastic material and make small plates, attached to the upper links with zip ties for electronics.

Move batteries to the axle, or get them as low as possible.

Don't forget to have fun and read everything here you can.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon4 View Post
I believe he means the driveshafts not the axles there is really nothing wrong with the axles on the AX-10 in fact it is very common to use these axles on scale builds as far as driveshafts the stock ones will pop off pretty easy if bound up but MIP makes some steel ones that are awesome I have some and they work really well.
Yup... drive shafts...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote