Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Motor Polarity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #1

Default Motor Polarity

I just got 2 traxxas 550 titan motors to put on a clod more for bashing than strictly crawling. I was wondering if running the rear motor with reverse polarity would have any adverse effects on the motor? I can't find any numbers as to the timing on the motors but if they are advanced, wouldn't reversing the polarity act as running the motor with the timing retarded the equal amount?
wutsurname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

You are exactly right about the timing and running it backwards.

Bad for the motor.

They used to make reverse rotation motors because of that, first one I think of are the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motors.

So not the greatest choice.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Standard silver can 540 motors, as supplied with Tamiya kits, etc, seem to run zero timing. It's common practice with 4-cell carpet racers here in the UK to swap the motor side to side every few race meetings to even out the brush/comm wear. They normally run slightly better in one direction, but this is due to manufacturing tolerances in the timing, rather than by design.

I've no idea whether all sealed can motors are like this, but it should be easy to tell if your 550 motors have near to zero timing.
Connect the motor directly to a 4-cell pack and listen to the noise it makes. Reverse the battery and listen again. If it sounds the same both ways (same RPM), it's zero timing.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the help guys. I did some reading and apparently having the timing retarded will produce less power but also bring down the operating temps as well which was a problem I was having with my rear motor before. I haven't really read anything saying that reverse polarity is destructive though.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Reverse timing destroys the comm really fast. Reducing the timing does lower temps, until you hit negative timing.

Optimal timing is generally 7 degrees for forward rotation without excess wear or heat, so zero timing is even a compromise.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

So is there any way of me changing the timing of my rear motor then? If I somehow turn just the outside can 180 degrees and run the reverse polarity would that make the timing advanced while maintaining the reverse rotation i need?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will have to notch the can for reversed timing. Not really worth it for a titan motor unless you have lots of time and little money.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I haven't messed with the big motors, but on the "370" size motors there are two little holes in the endbell that snap ring pliers will fit into, and it's fairly easy to adjust the timing, by twisting the endbell. Makes a HUGE difference if the timing is correct for the intended rotation.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If you've been running the rear motor reversed already it's probably well on it's way to shot so I wouldnt waste time or energy trying to reverse it.

Traxxas has reverse rotation motors out for the e-revo that will work great in the rear of a clod.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

if i remember right when those titans are run in reverse they overheat much easier because the internal fan spins in the wrong direction to cool them
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
if i remember right when those titans are run in reverse they overheat much easier because the internal fan spins in the wrong direction to cool them
Not the fan....regular rotation titans come out of the package with advanced timing.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #12

Are those reverse rotation motors the same number of turns as the original titans or will i have to buy 2 new motors?