Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Hellos, notes and Qs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hellos, notes and Qs

First, I just want to say hey to everyone out there as I jump on the noob ship here. I've actually had an account for about a week, but I have been busy reading and soaking up the wealth of information that is available here.

One question I have, is about the RC mags and how much stock to take in them. I kinda take everything with a grain of salt, but some of them seem to boast certain vehicles up more almost to the point that it conflicts with the information in the forums here. Does anyone have a rag they like to read?

Secondly, it seems a great deal of the recommendations for noob rigs are on the AX10. Are there any MOA starters that might be recommended?

Right now, I am just sittin back and trying to sort it all out. Thought about building up a bully, then a LCC, now who knows. But I'll be out there on the rocks soon.

Just another note, I have been around RCs before, so I am not a complete noob. And yes, I ramble on some times.

Again, Hello to you all and thanx for runnin such a great site.
sm0ke
sm0ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wecome! I don't read any mags so I'm no help on that. I get info here and from the guys I crawl with. Then I just try different stuff.
The ax10 is a good starter because it is pretty solid and has a low buy in. It will then nickle and dime ya to death on all the up grades available.
The problem with MOA as starters is ya really need to piece everything together from scratch and the buy in is pretty high. But then ya are pretty much done and have a rig ya can just run and really learn to drive it.
I think the jp/bully roller is a great MOA starter but they are on back order right now.
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...89/7195147.htm
The nice thing about the JP/Bully roller is all the basic stuff is there and ya just need to add electronics and wheels and tires of your choice. The Bullys are good starter axles because they don't need a bunch of "tweeks" like bergs and especially HRs.
The losi is a good comp rig but does need some work. I just can't recommend it for a newbe but some guys love them from the get go.
You are starting smart by comming here before buying. Take a look at some different build threads and pick one. Then ask more questions before jumping in.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #3

I am New to crawling also and I went with a Venom Creeper. I decided on that due to the cost. Figured If I build it and hate crawling then I am out less than $150. But have to say I am here to stay. Now I need to tweak it to do what i want. Not alot of tweaking cause it works pretty good out of the box.

I take all magazines with a grain of salt. So sorry can't help either.
krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ke View Post
One question I have, is about the RC mags and how much stock to take in them. I kinda take everything with a grain of salt, but some of them seem to boast certain vehicles up more almost to the point that it conflicts with the information in the forums here. Does anyone have a rag they like to read?
My personal favorite magazine is XRC, but I think it's more because it's a more interesting read, less boring than the others out there. RC Driver puts me to sleep.

As far as taking things with a grain of salt, realize that the manufacturers and their advertising dollars are what keep the magazines in business. Your newsstand purchase or subscription doesn't go very far towards keeping the lights on. It's not often you'll find a steady advertiser's product get a bad review in a magazine these days.

One recent magazine I read had a ton of HPI ads in it, and also had an HPI giveaway vehicle, HPI let one of the magazine's writer's use one of their vehicles in a competition and also featured a test drive of one of HPI's new trucks. Now, how do you think that review went?
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I read XRC, and RC Car Action on a monthly basis.

Sometimes when they throw in bits about crawling, I laugh, as it's apparent that they have no idea what they're writing about... but at the same time, they sometimes have things pretty well figured out

Basically, for crawling, just come here for info, and save the mags for the pictures! I do...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanx for the info guys. Hey hippie, what do you think of the havoc chassis for the bully2 axles? Or the rest of you for that matter.

Sm0ke
Old 10-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanx for the info guys. Hey hippie, what do you think of the havoc chassis for the bully2 axles? Or the rest of you for that matter.

Sm0ke
I think it is fine. I wouldn't run the bullys or havoc for serious comping but for local comps and bashing they are hard to beat for the $. Great starter set up that will take ya a long way.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

So are Bergs and HRs the only axles that are for serious comps?
Really, what makes a part worthy of serious comping? One of my goals in
selecting my rig is that if I ever want to do real comps, I could upgrade it
to that status. Understanding that a great deal of this is opinion and personal
experience, what makes a part worthy?

Thanx
sm0ke
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanx
sm0ke
Dont forget Losi comp crawler!
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanx
sm0ke
While alot of it is opinion and personal experience/preference there are also some real facts. The problem with the bullys is they are heavy and the steering angle isn't good. Ax10s carry some weight high and torque twist is an issue. Plus rear dig isn't really an option. The HRs really are low quality but they are light, narrow and berg stuff works in them (with some work). The losi is really a different animal and can be a full comp rig with the right upgrades and driver. And yes the bergs are the standard but they don't just work out of the box. Berg/enroute just came out with some new axles, we'll see.
One of the most flustrating things about crawling for newbies is breaking stuff and watching others outperform your rig. While alot/most of that is driver there really are better performing rigs out there. It takes alot of work to make any of them perform but in the end there is a reason the top guys run what they do. I guess to answer your question of what makes a part "comp worthy" ya can look at whats winning the major comps and what the "good " drivers are running.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Funny you should mention all of that, because after my post I went and looked. Yes the Bergs are winning a lot of comps. 2008 CKRC nationals 2.2 berg across the board. Couldn't find a list of 2009, but I bet it was similar.
The only part of that statement I would challange though is the "good" drivers part. I bet there are a good deal of drivers out there who are as good as those guys, even better but with shallower pockets.
I'm itchin too pull my finger on a rig, but just as you measure twice and cut once, I want to make sure I get the right rig the first time. Maybe its a berg, maybe its a bully, I'll keep watchin and hopefully be out there soon.

Thanx for the insight,
sm0ke
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Reason you didn't see any Bullys in 2008 nats is b/c they were not out yet. The Bullys are still new. When guys were buidling there 2009 Comp Rigs. The Bullys just started going to the testers. Then they had XVD problems. All that has been fixed and they are pure Beef.

Why isn't the HaVoc a serious Comp Chassis? The HellStrom is also another great chassis that has been to the nats placed in the Top 4 in 2008. Won the many Local Comps and a State Comp this Year. The HellStrom also works with Bergs, Bully's, Ax-10 and I have two Drivers setting it up on the new Losi as well.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

oldhippie's comments haven't ruled out the bullys, or the havoc for me, just made me think abit. I still like the engineering on the havoc, and I love to try things that are different, mixing torsion and shocks definatly is different. I hope to be placing an order soon. How long is the back order on those again?

Thanx
sm0ke