Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Leopards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Its not that at all! I am not the kind of guy who goes out and buys new things just cause their newest, I just simply would like to grab the best performing tire that I can. I have been told that the new panther tire out performs rovers by a few people:?, so I have been doing some research on them to see if this is true.
If not then I'll go out and buy some rovers.
Col. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

there aint nothin wrong with having more than 1 set of tires! lol

a lot of people prefer one to the other. thing is there are still things rovers will do that the leopards cannot, and visa versa.

BUT YOU NEED TO RID YOURSELF OF THEM FAWKING LIZARDS ASAP!!!

and i have never seen someone take so long to choose a tire lol!!

ROVERS are cheap, and the best "all around" tire on the mrtket IMHO
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

When I broke my Leopards in I just found a good abrasive pad of concrete, which my patio worked well, and drove it around. I drove one pack through it and went to a comp! I love my Leopards!! But Dont get me wrong the Rovers kick ass too!!!
dirttrackdemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I don't have a problem with that at all. I just wanted to make sure you know thats not why I am looking at the leopards (should of worded it differently.)
Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Default Hahaha!

thanks for understanding Fernando, sorry about the confusion!

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try both the rovers and the leopards, like you guys said, why not have more than one set?

Just 2 questions... What foams are you running in your rovers? And what compound rovers should I get?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

well being you live in the land where they call ham bacon........

and the associated colder temps, id say Whites.

the best foams i have run w/ my rovers are stock and the proline dual stages.

a good deal of folks cannot get over the fact that the stock foams do not completly fill out the tires. but the strait up work.

once im comping in temps less than 50*, i will put the mem. foams on a shelf and go back to stocks
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

thanks BOB!

the stock foams are not memory foam then? are you cutting them at all?

mmmmm... bacon... I can feel it clogging all my arteries...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

the stockers are not mem.

Memory foams suck balls major in cold weather! they get hard like a 12year old in the back room of the movie store!

so yea, normal foam in the winter,

or in the land of Molson Baby!! mmm mmmm good!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

sweet! I need a non memory foam for winter.

what wheels are you running? Will the stock ax10 wheels work for the rovers and Leopards?

If not what wheels should I get for them?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Default They Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Sanders View Post
sweet! I need a non memory foam for winter.

what wheels are you running? Will the stock ax10 wheels work for the rovers and Leopards?

If not what wheels should I get for them?

My stock AX10 wheels work perfect with my Rover tires. I don't know about the Leopards, but I don't see any reason why the Stock AX10 wheels wouldn't work with the Leopard tires. If your money is right you could look with some aftermarket metal wheels.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

stick with the plastic wheels, there are fancier ones out there. BUT

theyre perfectly fine, you can add weight if you want. dont let anyone tell you otherwise
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #32
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

If you want a proven good quality combo right out out of the box, get your Panther Leopards and 2.2 Dual Stage foams from me. Please check out the posted reviews by several different drivers from several different regions. Those reviews are in the Tire and Wheel section as well as in the Vendor section. Don't take my word for it, read what others are saying. All of them paid full price for there foams so there is no bias involved here. I created my foams because I was tired of the endless time spent tuning and tweaking. I wanted something consistent that could be put into any tire and perform well. Let me know if I can help any of you interested in my product.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

sweet, thanks! I was hoping that they would work okay.

are there any benefits to running after market wheels besides the look that I am missing? I keep hearing people say they are stronger but unless you drive your trucks like their a herd of lemmings....

I've tried adding weight to my front wheels but I like it without the weight more, I just personally think it climbs better.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #34
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
sweet, thanks! I was hoping that they would work okay.

are there any benefits to running after market wheels besides the look that I am missing? I keep hearing people say they are stronger but unless you drive your trucks like their a herd of lemmings....

I've tried adding weight to my front wheels but I like it without the weight more, I just personally think it climbs better.

I personally run Mayhem 7's on my bergs and Create A Crawler on my Axial. I have VP wheels on my 1.9 Losi MRC. I have been at this for a while and I buy, sell and trade a lot which is how I got the wheels I currently have. Nicely machined wheels are going to cost more, be of better quality, and should give you years of service. They are well worth the cost over time. My problem with plastic wheels is that they ultimately strip hexes.

As for weight, I currently run about 2.5 ounce in the front and nothing in the rear. 6 oz of weight bias in the front is good to have. You definitely need some weight bias in the front to help climbing and general crawling.
A typical front wheel for me will weigh 13 ounces and that is bead lock + tire + foam. A typical rear wheel will weigh 7 ounces and that is bead lock + tire + foam. I am working to go more lite weight in the future with both my bergs. Currently my bergs are 6.5 pounds. I would like to go under 6 pounds and give that a try.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Finally ordered some tires! HB rover whites! Can't wait!

I don't think I am going to try the leopards just yet.

I have all my electronics jammed up front on a custom upper link plate and a split battery pack. All the forward bias really helps and I think I have good enough bias just from my electronics placement that I don't need to worry about adding wheel weights. I don't think I'll strip my hex any time soon, I try not to be to psychotic on the rocks.

thanks for the help!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

sorry to burst your bubble bud, but you're gonna need more weight in them wheels. The electronics alone are NOT heavy enough to give you the weight bias you'll need. You can try it but I can assure you that you'll be adding weight.

Just try to add around 6-7 oz of weight to just the fronts and go from there.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I have tried adding weight to my front wheels before but at my local crawl spot I find it performs better when its as light as possible, I'll try it again and compare weighted to non weighted wheels once I get my rovers, cause now I'm not sure!

how do you like add weight?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have tried adding weight to my front wheels before but at my local crawl spot I find it performs better when its as light as possible, I'll try it again and compare weighted to non weighted wheels once I get my rovers, cause now I'm not sure!

how do you like add weight?
Sick on wheel weights around the wheels work fine.
But if you want to be completely adjustable the DH ProComp wheels are Awesome.You can change weight without taking the tire off of bead and if you change Axles down the line instead of having to buy a different offset wheel you can just buy the hex adapters.
http://www.vanquishproducts.com/revo...rocomp-22.html
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I know you've already pulled the trigger but when you can justify another set of tires give the Leopards a try. I was running Rovers & still like them a lot but the Leopards, for me, are a step up in terms of pure traction. As they break-in I've been able to take weight out of my wheels to the point of running Vanquish SLW rears with no weight at times. My truck just keeps climbing better, side-hill too. The ability to put weight in and out of the Vanquish Pro-Comp wheels in a minute or two is a real plus if you're strapped for crawling time, like me, and want as much driving time as possible but still want to tune your rig... so IMO they're a good investment too. Nova's Ark Dual Stage non-memory foam is working super-well for me in the Leopards and for about $25 a set of 4 another thing worth trying IMO.
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I'll post some pics once I get my tires in.

But there is no way I am gonna drop $150 on a set of wheels. Thats just ridiculous!