Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: To lock or un-lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #1

Default To lock or un-lock

Noobie here. I have a Tamiya Hilux and am going to use it at slow speeds on dirt. It is scale and will not be rippin around. Is it best just to keep the diff's locked? How much of an extra strain will this put on the drive train, steering, etc.?
rollover3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Locking the diffs will put a little more (though barely noticeably) stress on the whole drivetrain.
Turning while locked is a diffrent story, because that depends on the terrain and grip level.

In the end, your tamiya should have no problems either way with being able to handle it.

However be prepared for this, if you are running a locked axle you are going to increase your turning radius, while also increasing the amount of traction you have.
If youa re just running on dirt, and going slow (mild rocks) then I would suggest locking the rear and leaving the front open. This will give you good traction, and still keep your turning radius livable.... Then again, I am a crawler guy, so to me I would be looking at modding the whole steering setup to get good steering radius while also having full locked all the time....

But thats just me.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #3

I would love to hear youre suggestions to the turning modd, I dont want to over work my servo( high torque aftermarket). I trail ride Rampart all the time and I hear ya!!!!!
rollover3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

it will not turn as good locked, but will get stuck very easily unlocked! i had to lock both of mine up, just couldnt handle it. seems like even for mild wheeling, locking the rear is essential.
imo
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote