Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Default help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

can any one give me some good ideas on how to make costom rear steer and a costom rock crawler i need to know everything on how to build a rock crawler i need to know what the best servo brands are and all the other stuff that goes on the best crawlers and by everything i mean all the stuff that goes on a crawlerbut make sure it the best you can find i need to know the best way to make rear steer to.
chaseatthefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Mooooooooved to Newbie.

You've opened a small can of worms yo!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not trying to be a smartass. Up at the top there is a button labeled search. You will be able to get answers to your specific questions much quicker than waiting on reply's if you try that first.

After making attempts to find answers to your vast amounts of questions, if you have no luck, then narrow down your list of projects to some specific things you want to work on. What your asking for up there, is a ton of information, and most will get lost if you try to take it all in at once.

ask specific questions one at a time, and I assure you that you will get your answers much more effectively. General 9 mile questions tend to get ignored.
RickyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Depends on the radio. if you have 3 channels it makes it easier. If not there's electronics that'll help, I believe Punk RC has a rear steer computer of sorts that plugs right in.
Use the 'search' button up top of this page, got to 'advanced search' , then highlight the section that applies to the kind of truck you have i.e. ax10, Wheely King etc. and search 'rear steer'.
You will find a ton of reading on the subject and many different setups.
Same goes for tubers (search 'tuber' and you'll see what I mean). There's a whole 'tools and procedures' section on here that outlines many ways to make one as well as materials involved. Again alot of reading, but worth it!
Welcome to the addiction!! And welcome to RCcrawler forum, the most informative crawler site in the universe The more threads you read the more you learn! Just remember to search a ton first and unless you have flame retardant clothes keep in the newbie section. People are very helpful and understanding there of new people asking the same question over and over lol! You go in to the "big pond" with an old question that's been asked a ton bring a thick hide or you may be abruptly (to put it lightly) reminded of the basics like the Search function.
It's a good think Eep was on it!
P.S. a thread title like "help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
better be something "like night before the comp I broke something and can't get it out!" or " my charger's on fire and I'm locked out!" or your just askin' for it lol! Again Welcome! You'll love it here once you figure out the lay of the land.

Last edited by solomon7; 10-13-2009 at 04:01 PM.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseatthefield View Post
can any one give me some good ideas on how to make costom rear steer and a costom rock crawler i need to know everything on how to build a rock crawler i need to know what the best servo brands are and all the other stuff that goes on the best crawlers and by everything i mean all the stuff that goes on a crawlerbut make sure it the best you can find i need to know the best way to make rear steer to.
Alright... hopefully I can give you a push in the right direction but please realize that ***Everyone has a different style and different opinions***.

So to start off with you need to take a look at the "Search" option up in the top bar between "New Posts" and "Quick Links". Plug in "Build Thread" and start reading. Then just go into the "Newbie General" forum and start reading all the threads there. Then... once you have decided on what base (Losi, Axial, Burg, Etc) you are going to build on, go to that vehicles forum and read everything there. This is going to help you make decisions about what you want in your build (Motor on Axle or Shafty, ESC type, Motor Type, Gear ratio, DIG, BEC, Body, Etc..).

That being said, lets assume you want to build a brushed shafty with an AX10 base, 4 wheel steer and DIG (because that is what my Limited experience is in)... this would be what *I* would suggest for the "BEST" (within reason) right now:

TCScrawlers.com
Axial AX10 Scorpion Kit #AX90001 - $220.00 (Your base)
Vanquish Hurtz Shifter 3 Position Dig - $84.00
Futaba Digital Hi-Torque Servos (Works with R604FS RX) - ($140 x 3) $420.00
Hot Bodies Rover Crawler 2.2 Tire - ($19 x 2) $38.00
DuraTrax Onyx 230 AC/DC Advanced Charger - $80.00
Gatekeeper Designs GC-2 Chassis kit - $99.00
Thunder Tech Racing/MIP Short C-Drive Spline Pair - $55.00
Axial Racing 72-103mm Shock Set 10mm Piston - ($41 x2) $82.00
TCS Black Anodized Aluminum Upper 4 Link/Servo Mount - ($11 x2) $22.00
TCS Crawlers Upgraded Skid Plate - $25.00

Holmeshobbies.com
35t TorqueMaster Pro Handwound - $56.00
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL - $99.00
Castle BEC - $22.00
Castle Creations PC Link - $22.00
Poly RC 2200mah Lipo Battery - $35.00

MyAtomic.com
4PK 2.4GHz FASST TX with R604FS RX - $500 (Has 4 channels)

vanquishproducts.com
Revolver DH ProComp 2.2 Wheels (Including Hardware) - $170
Accompanying wheel weights - ($28 x 3) $84

So... for just over $2000.00 USD you can have what *I*, in my limited experience, consider "The Best". (Not including an extra couple hundred bucks for misc grease, oil, connectors, tools, widgets, thing-a-ma-jigs, doo-dads, etc.) Now... if you start talking about dual ESCs, Motors on Axles, etc you are just adding more money.

But the funny thing is... someone else is going to look at this list and tell you something completely different... and you know what... they will be right too!

In the end, the one thing to know is that better parts *DON'T* make you a better driver. And when the 8 year old kid with the stock SCX10 beats you and your +$2000 rig in a comp... smile and shake his, or her, hand because they were the better driver that day.

Oh... and by the way... it seems like your Spell check and punctuation keys may be defective. You should have that looked at!

(Disclaimer:

I chose these vendors either because I have worked with them directly or their products. They have all treated me and many of the others here very well!

I have also represented the parts list as best as possible, but I may have made a mistake and/or missed a part or two. Be sure to do your own research first!

And, as always, YMMV Daddy-0 )

Last edited by oSPANNERo; 10-13-2009 at 05:53 PM.
oSPANNERo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Now see, that is a helpful post and I'll follow suit!

I started with
Dx3r
1300mah 3s lipos x 2
axial ARTR
DNA 2.2 wheels
panther cougers
JR hitorq servo
hitech mini servo for dig
DNA dig
integy 55t motor
mip driveshafts
axial underdrive rear gears

My crawler started with that, and went wild from there. I gained all the knowledge either from the search function on this website, or posting after I couldnt find my answers, or a site linked to by this forum. Thank god the thing exists.
RickyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

make your rear steer as the front, are you doing a scaler, beater, 2.2 comp, 1.9 comp, or super comp rig?
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
Now see, that is a helpful post and I'll follow suit!

Most of us are thinking here...its the best help anyone should of given a post like that.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/search.php
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote