Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lipo help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Lipo help

OK, deciding to go LiPo for the first time. Yes, I looked through the threads in the electronic section to get a basic idea.

Do you guys run receiver packs? Thinking of a size that would fit on the front axle. I used to run self made pack with AA-size batteries. I've read that 1300-1500 mAh is the range I should shoot for, probably be running a 55t or 45t motor, not sure on the ESC yet (Tekin FXR or Rooster, probably). I just really know nothing about LiPos, so figured I'd ask first. I have an Onyx 230 for a charger, so I know it will handle the charging duties.

If there is a link to a thread that has the basic definitions, that would be great. I've read through a few pages already, but may have missed something simple along the way.

Thanks! BTW, decided to do the Axial AX-10 kit, probably be bashing mostly, not planning on any comps, so not considering dig or anything like that now.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-25c-1500mAh-11...item19b4acd591

these are the Lipos i run, for the price there is no way to complain about them, i get about 40 min run time outta them with a 35t hand wound. and they fit perfect on the front axle. the roostercrawler esc wont handle the 3s, but the fxr will.. bot have built in lipo cut off. how ever the fxr is alot more programable especially if u get the hot wire so i would recommend it over the rooster

what sort of definaitons are you looking for??

"S" = series 2s, 3s and so on,
"C" = continus curren rateing, 25c,30c etc
"burst" is the max current output the battery can give, tho only for a short time
mah = battery capacity, same as the nimh nicd cells.
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just so you know, out of the two ESCs you listed, only the Tekin will handle a 3S lipo. As for powering your servo, an external BEC is MUCH lighter than a receiver pack!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Just so you know, out of the two ESCs you listed, only the Tekin will handle a 3S lipo. As for powering your servo, an external BEC is MUCH lighter than a receiver pack!

I was referring to the receiver pack as the actual battery, not as a secondary to power to servo. I was thinking more from the mAh aspect and size.

So will I regret having a 2s over 3s? What I may do, since I'm doing one for me and one for my son, is do use 3s in mine with a 55t and 2s in his with a 35t (little more speed, more for dinking around). How would these fare, or not a good idea?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

are you useing 6cell stick packs now? goin with 2s will be almost the exact same as fas as wheel speed and torque, since its only .2 volts more then a stick pack. 3s will do id guess about 10kmh depending on your gearing. but with the added power of 3s things break a little easier. the stock drive shafts wont last long, and after u upgrade those the tranny out puts become the weak point.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

OK, decided to go with a Novak Rooster Crawler/55t combo. I've always had good luck with Novak in the past.

Now, when charging batteries, do I NEED a balancer? I'm using an Onyx 230 for charging. Decided to use 1350mAh 2s ThunderPower LiPos from CheapBatteryPacks.com. Again, had good luck with their NiMH stuff in the past, would assume the same with their LiPo stuff as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thats a good choice zjguy721 as long as youre finally decided to stay 2s lipo and not change your mind later to go 3s..3s torque/punch is way much stronger than 2s torque.. just my 2 cents
CHRIZAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

You need a balancer. LiPo's should be balanced on every charge. Otherwise the cells will go out of balance after 10 or so uses and a) if you have low voltage cutoff they will barely work for 5 minutes before stopping since one cell may be full while another is barely above cutoff voltage or b) they will puff up and become dangerous to use
JTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
I was referring to the receiver pack as the actual battery, not as a secondary to power to servo.
Ahh...sorry, I am used the traditional use of the term "receiver pack"....

As for the balancer, it's not necessary, but is strongly recommended. I balance my packs about 90% of the time.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2x-25c-1500mAh-11...item19b4acd591

these are the Lipos i run, for the price there is no way to complain about them, i get about 40 min run time outta them with a 35t hand wound. and they fit perfect on the front axle.

Thats very cool, I just picked up and waiting for these exact batteries...

and I also vote for a ballancer, I have the 230 charger and love it...have all but 3 settings it full...its way cool.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

ya they seem pretty durable too, i took a good tumble and put a fair sized dent in one of the packs... nothing exploded or caught fire haha
Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

sweet....
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I ran a Rooster with a 55 turn in my first crawler with a 2200 2S lipo. Ran good, but for similar money my new crawler will be running a Mamba Sidewinder for 3S and tuning capability along with 3S lipos for the extra wheel speed and punch.
NOMERCY!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Also remember these will be in the hands of, while adept at handling a 1/16 brushless e-revo, my seven year old son. Something about the idea of anything other than full throttle eludes him, so I'm thinking the 2s is pretty safe. And its easier to keep things the same between the two, for now, especially since we're bashing more than anything. Also, the Novak is probably the easiest for him to learn how to use, rather than the Castles (no programming/pc hookups required). Who knows, down the road it may change.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Get a digital controler and turn the throttle down to 50 percent...no worries then.

and arn't we all 7 when we mash the thottle????
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post

and arn't we all 7 when we mash the thottle????

If we weren't, none of us would do this.