Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Suspension floatiness - if that makes sense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Suspension floatiness - if that makes sense

Hi.

This has always puzzled me, should the suspension float? Ie: you can lift the belly before the wheels lift. Or, should the shocks be fully extended so the chassis is at the top of it's travel?

Thanks.

Neil.
Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

My 1.9 rig is set up with droop. Wich means my suspension is at it lowest when its standing or wheeling on flat surface. When the rig is on an obstical the wheels go down on the opposit side.

Here standing still:

And here flexing:

I liked this option best for this rig, but there are as many thoughts of this as there are members on this site and beyond!

Hope you got something out of my answer.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Ideally ya want a little droop (20-30%) but that is really hard to do with the light weight chassis and heavy axles on a crawler. It really boils down to what works best on your rig given the terrain and your driving style. It is all black magic/math/science.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have found that running an internal spring under the piston (droop) and an external spring (sprung) in combination has been the best method for keeping the wheels on the rocks on both my creeper and my mrc (TCS mini edge).
93firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run internal springs in my bronco for semi droop. I have about half a spring on top and bottom of the piston(e-maxx shocks). I wanted it to act as real as possible. The spring may need to be shortened for either ride height or articulation. With semi droop it still has suspension, if your crawling over an obsticle and the chassis hits the axles will drop a little and allow the tires to grab most of the time.

Think about a real truck, When you put it on a hoist the suspension drops. correct? It should also travel about the same when its compressed, Maybe a little more.

Here is my bronco. Notice how the suspension drops alittle going over the first edge allowing the tires to still bite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkgh5hLghE
chris4207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm building a bloody great 1:6 truck, with the suspension in a normal setup the wheels rub against the body unless the body is mounted really high.

I wasn't aware that a droop setup meant the wheels would drop away from the arches instead of the other way around.

Can I ask if you need springs at all, whether internal or external? May be if I fitted a rubber "0" ring on the shock shafts to stop them hitting when fully compressed.
Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I cant answer that last Q, but I've got the suspension half-filled with oil. I havent tried the rig with other rigs in the same class to compare, but I think the setup I have is the most ideal for mine.

If you use the shocks from a Highlift I guess you can cut down the internal spring and get a 50-50 setup. Havent tried, but a sugestion none the less :?
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote