Notices

Thread: Motor Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Motor Question

So...running 2 motors on an MOA.

Tell me if any of this is incorrect :-/

Front motor spins regular direction (clockwise), rear will spin opposite (counter clockwise). I heard motors come advanced a few degrees so wouldn't just wiring the + to - and - to + retard the rear while the front is still advanced? How do you keep the timing the same on both motors but make them both spin the proper direction? Would rotating the end bell 180* and wiring + to + and - to - be the best option?

What do I need to know about wiring two motors for an MOA. Thanks!
JTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTTG View Post
So...running 2 motors on an MOA.

Tell me if any of this is incorrect :-/

Front motor spins regular direction (clockwise), rear will spin opposite (counter clockwise). I heard motors come advanced a few degrees so wouldn't just wiring the + to - and - to + retard the rear while the front is still advanced?
Generally yes, but they might not be advanced. Even at slow speeds motors like a little advance for max efficiency.

How do you keep the timing the same on both motors but make them both spin the proper direction?
Adjust the timing. Look at one of the endbell screws, there will be a little timing mark or notch in both the endbell and the can. If it is advanced, there will be a small gap between the two marks. Turn the endbell so the screw is on the opposite side of the notch, and the same distance between the notches as it was before. If it was not advanced, turn the endbell the opposite direction the armature will spin. 1/8" between the marks is a decent amount of advance for a crawler.

Would rotating the end bell 180* and wiring + to + and - to - be the best option?
Generally yes, but it won't affect performance if you don't.

What do I need to know about wiring two motors for an MOA. Thanks!
Mark the motors so if you ever take them off at the same time you can put them back on where they came off......
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would also check out this thread. It has some great info about adjust the timing on your Brushed crawler motor.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...89#post1247489
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

A thing I thought of... Are the Bully MOA axles geared so that when both motors spin the same direction, the tires spin the same direction? Or does the rear need to spin the opposite?
JTTG is offline   Reply With Quote