Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noob from SoCal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Noob from SoCal

Hey everyone! Been lurking for quite a while and recently signed up. I'm looking to get into the crawling scene and wanted to find out some opinions from experienced folks already in the hobby.

I've been searching for a good, upgradeable crawler for a while now and it pretty much boils down to two options for me. It's either the HPI CK or AX10. I wanted to see what you all think I should purchase.

I have some good deals lined up for either or so I'm pretty much stuck and can't decide.

Here are some pics of the crawler that I was thinking of buying from someone for $200 and it's complete with F/R Lockers...

The Axial AX10 right now I can get for around $200 so yeah...I'm just not sure what to go with.

I'm not new the whole RC scene and but very new to the crawling hobby.
mangus7175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The AX10 is a better platform if you intend to convert to a scale crawler in my opinion.
Also, welcome from a fellow socal crawler.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
The AX10 is a better platform if you intend to convert to a scale crawler in my opinion.
Also, welcome from a fellow socal crawler.
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking the same thing based on a few threads I've read so far...I guess I just need to hear it from someone already in the hobby.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

welcome to the addiction! you should join us over on SoCalrcrc.org it's where the SoCal crawlers (most anyway) get together to talk tech, and arrange to meet up for our various get togethers and comps. We also have Friday Night Fights which is a weekly, low-key GTG with a practice comp in Upland. It's a good place to get tips for getting your rig (and driving) dialed, or tips on what rig to get. A lot of us there will let you try our rigs to see if you like it, and a lot of the time it'll help you decide what you want to get.

see you on the rocks!
~Jess
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely check it out. Not really new to the RC scene or to real wheelin' scene but got tired of going fast all the time and wanted to start lickin' rocks .

I'm still debating on getting the HPI and so far it appears that it can be heavily modified but I still do see more confidence with Axial products.

I guess I need to not rush my purchase. The person selling the HPI is selling everything for $200 and it comes with both F/R locked diff's extra spur gears, controller, NiMH packs, etc. My other option would be to get the Axial AX10 RTR which is on sale right now for $219 and the only thing I would need to get is a battery for now...of course later on if I go with the Axial better links would be the next logical upgrade...maybe the motor as well since the RTR version comes with a 27T instead of a 45T or 55T.

Still debating....
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I guess the decision has been made

My wife just called to say that she bought the Axial AX10 RTC...the one with the 55T motor

Will take some pics of the stocker when I get home tonight! The upgrade begins...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Updates? lol...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nothing significant, still have my stock AX10 but my brother in law ended up getting the CK on the first post. Still waiting to get all the holiday stuff out of the way then next project is to get the xtrail chassis to convert my AX.