Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: having a hard time understanding dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default having a hard time understanding dig

seen the one thread with the hex nut and drive shaft etc. but for the moment i am having a hard time visualizing how it works and why. I am debating between a dig set up allowing my to pull the front end over stuff without flipping OR going to a rear steer when i upgrade to the axial wide angle steering kit (if there is a better kit out there leme know).

what are pro's/con's of each set up?

in case it matters this is my first "real" crawler (made a wheely king into a crawler king as my first toy) and i am going to make it an unlimited type crawler before i decide to do anything comp speck or scale.

thank you in advance

Nootch
Nootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

rear steer in comps...unless its a super is against the rules

dig is allowed in comps..but not scale comps.

the dig system...its a mechanical device that attaches to the tranny.
full forward (toward the tranny) locks all 4 wheels in 4wd.
with the servo turned halfway between full 4wd and rear lock there is a space where the rear wheels "free wheel"
all the way back locks the rear tires so they can't spin at all.

that help??
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

yes it does help to an extent. do not know why you would want to lock out the rears, but time will answer that i presume. Are there many manufactures that produce a clean installing dig that fits ax90004?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

The reason the lock up the rears is to act like a pivot point to do a sharp turn. I flipped mine around in SCX so i can free wheel the front end or lock it up for scale burnouts!!!! I am running a stock axial tranny out of a scx and a VR3 dig, works really good! Hope this helps ya
bad67dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

well without dig my rigs turning radius is about 4 feet, with rear locked up it basically the size of the truck because it pivots on one of the rears..depends which way your turning..in a comp situation there are penalties for reverse and there are boundaries you cant cross/touch, you either have to use reverse and do a multiple point turn taking multiple penalties to negotiat tight corners..also dig helps somtimes on vertical stuff where the rear is getting too much bite and flipping you back, you lock up rear and the front will "dig" in and pull you up..usually need to finess the dig to release and finish getting you up the vertical once your fronts have gotten some bite..thats my explanation hope it helps
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
well without dig my rigs turning radius is about 4 feet, with rear locked up it basically the size of the truck because it pivots on one of the rears..depends which way your turning..in a comp situation there are penalties for reverse and there are boundaries you cant cross/touch, you either have to use reverse and do a multiple point turn taking multiple penalties to negotiat tight corners..also dig helps somtimes on vertical stuff where the rear is getting too much bite and flipping you back, you lock up rear and the front will "dig" in and pull you up..usually need to finess the dig to release and finish getting you up the vertical once your fronts have gotten some bite..thats my explanation hope it helps
Well put!
bad67dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

cool..as for dig units, the hot ticket for the axial is the vp hurst shifter dig, i have heard very good reports on it..mine should be here any day
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i was useing the hotracing dig on my ax10 comp rig and it works great plus it was only like $40. and it isnt that big and you can use a small servo
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

here a simple example of what a difference a dig can make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad8A-7kb4jM
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #10

that was a good video to show the difference. I had a hard time figuring out what DIG was also.
unimogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice post Tom.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

an easy way to explain it too,,dig is front wheel drive with the emergency brake on in a fwd car,,but our crawlers have the power to drag the vehicle on its rear tires
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

thankyou all very much for the information. It has helped me greatly. from what i have seen i think my non comp rig (just want to have fun for now, and still feeling the waters in the Edmonton Alberta area for comps anyhow) will get the dig upgrade before i move into a rear steer set up. The next question is can i keep a pistol grip controller and have what i would image is a 3 position switch to move the dig? or am i automatically going into a dual stick style controller when up upgrade my radio?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

nope pistol grip with 3pos aux channel will work just great for you. most of the guys that run the twinsticks are running MOA trucks, and it allows them to power each axle individually
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

moa trucks?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nootch View Post
moa trucks?
MOA = Motor On Axle. Like a Clodbuster or Berg type truck.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote