Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What rims & tyres

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Default What rims & tyres

Guys sorry for not searching but I'm in middle of bidding on Ebay.

I have an Ofna Dominator which I've just picked up here in Aus. I want to set up a second set of rims and tyres for rockcrawling. Not for comp just playing around. Guys here suggested getting a seco0nd set of Ofna rims but I'd like to go beadlocks and somethign like the Moab or Swamp Kong tyres.
I want something to increase clearance etc.

What should I look and can you easily adapt the 40 series rims with 23m hex.

Sorry very new to this.

Fester
fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

the only 40 serieries tires are like mashers and the Moabs. the Kongs require a special set of wheels. 40 series already have 23mm hex, they were designed for the maxx.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

First off, don't pay attention to ILRCRC.

The OFNA Dominator has a 17mm hex, so neither maxx wheels or 40 series will fit. Two beadlock choices are availible, the Pro-line locks which have a 23mm hex and the Maximizer, which have 14mm hexes. OFNA makes an adapter that converts your 17mm hex to a 14mm hex. As far as I know, no one makes a direct 17 to 23mm adapter, but you might be able to use www.dacemfg.com adapters on top of OFNA 17 to 14 apapters. I'm not sure if that will work or not.

The Swamp Kong tires, along with LST Claws and K Rocks will fit on OFNA Dominator wheels, which would be your cheapest option.

With the OFNA 17 to 14 adapters, you can run any standard maxx wheel or any 40 series wheel with a 14mm hex.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:55 AM   #4

Default Tyres on standard rims

Thanks CC. Don't want to get too carried away with cost as all that stuff gets so much dearer by teh time it hits here, whether I can find a store that brings it in or I do it myself.

I knew I had 17mm hex just hard to know what others have when wheels are offered on Ebay etc.

Will probably at least for now stick with as tall a tyre as I can get on a 17mm hex rim. An bidding on a heap of rims (some Dominator) over here for $.50 so I will have some options.

Whats best tall tyre/s that I can look for, for the standard rims at this stage.

Are all the Imex suitable and what size/series are these rims anyway.

Fester
fester is offline   Reply With Quote