Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Starting Small- Leaf sprung Scaler help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default Starting Small- Leaf sprung Scaler help

I am working on gathering some parts to build a MOA super rig, but have decided to build myself a scaler first for some practice, and for something cheap to have some fun with. I have purchases a MFM Chassis and TLT axles from the classifieds here, they are on their way. I plan to build a scale truck for some practice, as i am very new to the RC hobby. I had some cheapies as a kid, and havent realy had anything since.

I want to build my own leaf springs, what materials do people use? i have done some searching but not come up with anything definite on a material. I know its spring steel, but what items are people using as far as things that are available ay a local hardware store? I just need the spring material, evreything else i can make.

I am also looking into transmission setups. I think i am going to go with a 1/16 e-revo transmission. I will also run a 1/16 motor, and mini scale ESC and such, the prices are very cheap, and it will all be very compact and easy to hide. I may also go with a crossover style steering w/ the servo mounted on the chassis.

Would the 1/16 scale electronics have any trouble on something w/ 2.2 tires on it? It will mainly be a basher/trail rig, i want something with some decent power. From what i have seen from the 1/16 brushless e-revo, it should make plenty of power to keep me happy.

Also, another totale Newb question. I have zero electronics experaince so far, but being that its electric, and the ESC's are reversible, do you realy need a tranny with reverse? Doesnt the ESC just reverse the current and spin the motor backwards?

Thanks, i should be making some swift progress on this once it comes in. I will be measuring some things to ensure fitment before i buy more parts, but i think the 1/16 scale stuff will work, i just want some expert opinions as i am starting from square one. I will run a Clod repro body and make it a scale version of my 1:1, i may even pick up a hardbody from an old Clod, but i will likely beat it up so i may just go with the Parma.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

try this link http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cPath=79
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Sometimes, I make things.

i have been thru the rc4wd store dozens of times, i have seen the leaf springs. I want to make my own then the lengths will be exactly what i want them to be. ^^
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote