Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rear Steer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rear Steer Question

Im a noob on building a crawler i just got a clod from a friend and working on getting the stuff to build my crawler my question is being new to crawling is it better to have rear steer or not or does it not matter....i think i remember seeing something about not wanting rear steer if it is your first crawler that it is more difficult? is this true or not.....any help is appreciated

thanks in advance
whuzzz_up_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I am not sure what you mean by it's difficult if it is your first crawler. I just completed my first crawler but i dont think its difficult to drive with 4WS setup. Unless you are talking just rear wheel steer...thus you have to drive it like driving the fork lift..lol

IMHO, with 4WS, it improves our turning radius since clod has very litle turning radius. that is what i thing. The senior crawlers might be able to help on this..
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

If you're going to build an unlimited class crawler (14"+ WB), then you'll want rear steer. Clods have a very limited turning radius, but that can also be helped with CVD axle shafts. Plus, most comp courses are set up with gates that require tight maneuvering.

If you're gonna try and build a 2.2 size crawler (approx.12" WB), then rear steer is up to you, but most rules don't allow for it.

IMO, get the rear steer, you'll never look back. Make sure you use independent rear steer, and not just a servo reverser. Get a TQ3 from http://www.thecrawlerstore.com with the rear steer toggle already installed, and you'll be half-way there.

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Rear steer makes turning so much easier, because you won't have to do a 30 point turn
The initial monetary cost is higher due to the electronics needed to run an extra servo, but you won't regret it. To use 2 servos you will either need an Electronic Speed Control with a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) with a rating of 3 amps or more OR you can use a reciever pack to power the servos.
There are 3 ESC's that I know of that have good BEC's: Tekin Rebel 2 (5 amp), Novak Super Rooster (3 amp), and Novak Super Duty (3 amp).
A reciever pack will cost less, but it is a hassle to deal with and it adds unnecessary weight.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote