Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: stupid newbie mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default stupid newbie mistake

so, i went out to mount my body today on my new scale frame that i just finished for the most part. i thought i had it all lined up right, but guess what it wasnt. my question is for those of you that have screwed up the mounting hole location, what have you done to fix it??

thanks
scott
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Powered by Awesome

well....... hit the hobby shop and try it again. What type of body was it? hard or lexan? if it is lexan you might be able to use a hole punch and some scrap and glue the hole back onto the body but i dont know what kind of glue would bond it... if it was a hard plastic body... go to the auto parts store and buy some plastic body filler, goob it on and sand it smooth. - > repaint... buying a new body might be your best bet. OR relocate you body posts and redrill even more holes no your body... always line up the body before you paint...

WE WANNA SEE PICS
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i unfortunately dont have any pix to show right now, but i will shortly. its the proline chevy body, and i really dont have the money to go out and buy a new one right now it isnt painted yet, so thats a good thing. im thinkin i might just get some lexan to cover the backside of the holes and re-drill the holes in the correct spot.

edit- this is what im talking about. i went a little crazy trying to get everything to line up properly

Last edited by OIT_TLT; 12-13-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Next time you try to do this. You should set the body over the post and then grab a perment marker and put a dot. Then go to the next one. Before you drill the holes you should check and make sure they are right. Then get a BODY REMER not a drill bit and rim out the holes. Do one and set it on the post again just to be sure. Then do the rest and then your done. Hope this helps. Also tire glue works great on the lexan atleast for me it did. Hope you can save it.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

as above, use a reamer to make the holes.

spend the extra 5 bucks on lexan scissors to trim the body AFTER it's been painted.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

cut a square of lexas from an old body and once you have painted it hot glue it under the body where you made your mistakes and whalaa the you go
savageracer312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere
Next time you try to do this. You should set the body over the post and then grab a perment marker and put a dot. Then go to the next one. Before you drill the holes you should check and make sure they are right. Then get a BODY REMER not a drill bit and rim out the holes. Do one and set it on the post again just to be sure. Then do the rest and then your done. Hope this helps. Also tire glue works great on the lexan atleast for me it did. Hope you can save it.
i did exactly this, but then i kinda forgot to check to make sure everything was aligned properly. i just have an excuse for either a thrasher body, or maybe try to make a cowl hood for it.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Honestly I would just use it for thrashing or racing, casue bodies get thrashed real bad racing trust me I know I race on-road and off-road. If you want it to look good then you need to just buy another and start over. Money I know is not growing on trees but really thats all there is to do and it still look Good. Use the lexan scissors and the remer, and then DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE MOUNTING POST. ANOTHER THING TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! WHEN YOU SPRAY THE PAINT SPRAY JUST A LITTLE AT A TIME AND THEN LET IT DRY ANS SPRAY MORE. DO THIS LIKE 4 TIMES, OR WHENEVER THE PAINT LOOKS GOOD AND EVEN. DO EVEN STROKES AS-WELL. I ALWAYS CUT MY BODY OUT LIKE I WANT IT CAUSE I CAN SEE IT A LITTLE BETTER WITHOUT THE PAINT ON IT. AND ALSO I DON'T TAKE A CHANCE ON THE PAINT CHIPPING OFF AND THEN HAVING TO GO BACK AND REDO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. GOOD LUCK MAN LET US KNOW WHAT YOU END UP DOING. AND BY THE WAY FORD BODY LOOK BETTER JUST MY OWN OPINION. I DRIVE FORD THOUGH SO THATS WHY 04 F150 4X4 4 DOOR. OR TOYOTA.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:15 PM   #9

You could overcut the hole, making it symmetrical and even, and then rivet in something like another piece of lexan, or a thin piece of aluminum or steel, with the new hole drilled in the appropriate place. That's probably what I would do till I felt justified in buying a new body.

Ary
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere
I ALWAYS CUT MY BODY OUT LIKE I WANT IT CAUSE I CAN SEE IT A LITTLE BETTER WITHOUT THE PAINT ON IT. AND ALSO I DON'T TAKE A CHANCE ON THE PAINT CHIPPING OFF AND THEN HAVING TO GO BACK AND REDO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. GOOD LUCK MAN LET US KNOW WHAT YOU END UP DOING. AND BY THE WAY FORD BODY LOOK BETTER JUST MY OWN OPINION. I DRIVE FORD THOUGH SO THATS WHY 04 F150 4X4 4 DOOR. OR TOYOTA.
thats why i cut mine out before i paint it, because it is easier in my mind just because of the possibility of the paint chipping. i am a chevy guy, so thats why i am running it, but i have seen a couple rigs with the same body that just dont look right, hopefully mine will be different. oh yeah, i think to fix the problem i am going to attempt to make a cowl induction hood. if i take my time and be careful i think that it will turn out great!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Go for it heck can't screw nothing up no more than it already is thats for sure. Good Luck and post pics when your done. Maybe that getting screwed up for a reason and this way will look alot better who knows. Hope it works.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

STICKERS! Paint you body and cover them suckers up with stickers. You'll never know they were there.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thats true! But how is he gonna cover up them big holes so that his body don't slide around all that stickers want hold that.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

paint your body put stickers over the holes then flip the body over and put small peices of lexan in the spot where you dont want the hole them goop it
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote