Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Charging batteries in parallel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Charging batteries in parallel

Is it best to charge the batteries as one or seperately?

Thanks
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

What kind of batteries? Are they connected via a Dean's parallel plug or soldered? What size packs are they?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

they are 1/16th venom 1600mah, I am using traxxes plugs right now and they are not soldered.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

how many cells are you charging at once? what kind of charger are you using. what's the peak cells your charger can handle?
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'll have to look at my charger but there 6 cell batteries. I didn't think of all that but I think I'll just stick to charging one at a time to be safe.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

in the common world of batteries there are a few idea's to multi-cell charging. the ideal way to charge any system is each individual cell at a time. when you charge multple cells at once you are slowly damaging the group as not all cells discarge at the same rate and capacity, thus won't charge at the same rate and capacity. to put in perspective. the new macbook pro used to do an "across the board" charge on thier battery packs and you would get a general service life of 2 years or 300 (there abouts) full charges. when they went to an onboard battery they individually charge each cell in the battery and have increased the life span to 5 years and something in the range of 1000 charges.

I highly doubt that if you have them properly connected in parallel and are using the same style battery and voltage/cell count you will run into any trouble. i have two 1500 NiMh batteries hooked up and they will take just fine. i ran to near dead last night and they took 2686 this morning when i charged them.
Nootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Cool, thanks for the info, now I just need a better charger to tell me whats going on and how much they will take.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

yes, a descent charger is essential. one that will sense the maximum charge intake and not over charge the batteries (which turns into heat and damages the battery). You should look at getting a charger that can handle all the way up to LiPo batteries so it can keep up with you as you grow in the sport. Adjustable charge rates are a good idea as well. a fast hard charge when you are in a rush, and nice slow charge when you can leave it on overnight. if you are serious about your venture into this whole sport, spend 100 or so.
Nootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

will look tomorrow at the lhs, I have a decent charger with selectable amps and what not, but no read out or lipo capability. And yes I have been thinking about switching to lipos but cant afford to right now. thanks again for all the good info.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

There are lots of good chargers out there. I use the Onyx 230, tells you whats going on, can charge at a very low rate to 7A...and will charge lipo and nimh and others...along with having 10 memories...very cool charger.

I would stick with charging one battery at a time...safer on the equipment you have at the time.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

+1 on onyx 230
MATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote