Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: FNG Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Post FNG Suggestions

Hello my name is Kyle and I am interested in RC Crawlers. I would like to get started in the hobby but I do not have a large budget. Here is what im in the market for. I am not wanting to compete this is going to be around the house fun and maybe at the park.
-The Venom kit is the best priced for me but I do want to make sure it will last
-I have a DX6i Spektrum for my airplanes I didnt know if I got a surface reciever I could bind it to the DX6i or would I need a TX with the wheel?
-What would be a budget friendly setup for the venom?

thanks
kyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonic View Post
Hello my name is Kyle and I am interested in RC Crawlers. I would like to get started in the hobby but I do not have a large budget. Here is what im in the market for. I am not wanting to compete this is going to be around the house fun and maybe at the park.
-The Venom kit is the best priced for me but I do want to make sure it will last
-I have a DX6i Spektrum for my airplanes I didnt know if I got a surface reciever I could bind it to the DX6i or would I need a TX with the wheel?
-What would be a budget friendly setup for the venom?

thanks

Welcome to the site!!

The Venom is a great kit, just read through the Venom section for any tips and tricks you might need. You might encounter a few problem but they can easily be overcome. any kit you buy you will need to do some type of modifications or usual maintenance.

You could use your DX6i, I use my DX6 on mine, however I have modded the left gimbal to self center.

As for budget friendly, a Hitec 645 would be a inexpensive servo to get you started but I would look into a more expensive servo like a Hitec 7950. Any lathe motor would work well, I am using a 45 turn Integy V11 in mine, good torque, good wheelspeed. As for a speed control I would look for something with a drag brake and a good BEC. I am currently using a Novak Rooster Crawler in mine. I have also used a Sidewinder but I pulled it out to use in my rock racer that is brushless.

I hope I could be of any help, if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask!!

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For what you want to do, I would check out the duratrax cliff climber ready to run. Its like 120 bucks from tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXURC1**&P=7

It will do exactly what you described. Also, check out the cliff climber section here http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/

So after the cost of the rtr plus some batts and a charger off ebay or here, you can get setup for under 2 hundred dollars.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

yea the duratrax is nice but its not for me
I am pretty sure it will be a Axial AX10 Scorpion or the Venom Creeper Kit

Last edited by kyonic; 11-14-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

go to the rox box on brookville road in the morning, they're having a comp/yard sale. you'll be able to check out some rigs first hand and maybe even save some cash on a well set up used one. what park are you gonna crawl at ? arbuckle in brownsburg has a good pile.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #6

ok cool i might make it. well for everyone if you could have a crawler between the venom and the axial. which would you get?
also if you did go with axial which one would you choose? The KIT, ARTR, or RTR?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Welcome...I would go with the Axial kit (ARTR), has lots of aftermarket parts for you to choose from. What you could do is pick up a star and become a member...then you can go to the forsale section and pick up a rig that has been used lighly that probably has lots of hop ups on it.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote