Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I want to build a crawler, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #1

Default I want to build a crawler, need help

Hey everyone. Been reading posts for a while and decided to finally build a crawler. I have a bunch of questions, but will just fire a few at you to start.

I have read alot of posts about the clod axle and tranny. Is this the only axle on the market that has the solid axle/tranny/motor mount all in one? I would like to build something with rear stear and with individual motors on each axle, like some of the crawlers posted here.

If I run two motors and want to run individaul 7.2 volt batteries to power each, do I need two speed controllers or is there a way to combine both motors and individual batteries into one esc?

Is rear wheel stearing only stearable from a toggle on the transmitter? What I mean is this proportional stear or is it just one step right and one step left?

I will most likely have more questions, but this information will get me started.
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
Hey everyone. Been reading posts for a while and decided to finally build a crawler. I have a bunch of questions, but will just fire a few at you to start.

I have read alot of posts about the clod axle and tranny. Is this the only axle on the market that has the solid axle/tranny/motor mount all in one? I would like to build something with rear stear and with individual motors on each axle, like some of the crawlers posted here.

If I run two motors and want to run individaul 7.2 volt batteries to power each, do I need two speed controllers or is there a way to combine both motors and individual batteries into one esc?

Is rear wheel stearing only stearable from a toggle on the transmitter? What I mean is this proportional stear or is it just one step right and one step left?

I will most likely have more questions, but this information will get me started.
Welcome to the site Ed, we're always in search of more AZ crawlers!

As far as I know, the clod axle is the only type that has the motor/gearbox attached directly to the axle.

You definitely don't need to run two batt. packs, but if you've got some other reason, yes, it can be done with one ESC. The elec. wizards should chime in soon for an in-depth reply... ...(or PM johnrobholmes)

Rear steer with a toggle on the Tx (TQ3 style) is full left/right. Fully proportional steering is achievable, but is easiest (at least in my opinion) with an airplane-style (stick) radio.

Any more ?'s, fire away.

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote