Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need recomendations: motor and ecs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Default Need recomendations: motor and ecs?

So I am looking to replace my axial components I need a motor and speed control. What are some pros and cons off what you guys have used? I was thinking about getting a brushless goat system but though I would ask about the other stuff out there. Also if I get a used system is there anything to look for? Or anybody have something to unload?
LEWETHETIGER73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

if brushed is an option the holmes hobbies torquemaster, all the way.

i haven't been happy with my goat, it's hard to downhill. at part throttle it coast and letting out locks up the hold brake and flips you. i'd love to here a report on the mamba max pro on brushless. when i played with on road stuff years ago i hated the maintence on my 10t brushed motors, so i prefer brushless.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Unless ya want to spend big bucks on a tekin sensored system I would go brushed. The holmes torquremaster is getting great reviews but I'm very happy with my fxrs. For motors ya can't go wrong with holmes or warriors. What ever ya do make sure ya can at least run 3 cell lipo.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

I was looking at a $140 budget. Also what is the difference for 2cell to 3cell? I am running 2000mh 7.4 2 cell venoms right now. The ones for the new traxxas 1/16 trucks
Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

What about the Novak crawler combo?
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Talking

Rebel 2 and a Holmes Cobalt Puller 10.... run that on 3s !
orange-appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

ill assume this is going into a 2.2 truck

the castle sidewinder is a popular esc for crawling. many people have been unhappy with the drag brakes, however it seems those complaints have been cleared up with the new firmware revision. the holmes hobbies esc would be the ultimate for a brushed setup, last esc you need to buy kinda deal. however it is overkill if your only running single motor and 2-3 cell lipo. the tekin fxr and fxr pro are good when they work, but they seem to be burning up easily and nobody knows why. my vote would be the cc sidewinder, and get the castle link for programing it.

as for a motor, you dont need to spend a ton of money here. i run an integy v11 35 turn and i have no complaints. you could run a cobalt puller motor, its the ultimate in torque, however to get the wheelspeed you need to run 3s lipo. being what your budget is, id say stick to a normal 35-45 turn. in the future if you upgrade to 3s, gear down and enjoy the extra efficiency and torque.

i dont recomend brushless in a crawler, from what ive seen they lack the low speed control and the dragbrake isnt what it is with brushed.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWETHETIGER73 View Post
I was looking at a $140 budget. Also what is the difference for 2cell to 3cell? I am running 2000mh 7.4 2 cell venoms right now. The ones for the new traxxas 1/16 trucks
There is a big difference between a 2cell and a 3 cell. 33.33% difference!
The fxr pro 45 combo is great bang for the buck for your $140!
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Tekin-FXR...3-p-17306.html
Fxr esc and handwound 45t motor!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The Sidewinder brakes are fine if set up with castle link. You can't program enough in manually...only like 40%.

I'm running the sidewinder, a 35t brushed, and 13t pinion on 3s lipo. Crazy wheel speed but great control and crawlability as well. The extra wheel speed is really nice with dig.
shaggybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #10

So what is all needed to program the sidewinder?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #11

And I have the axial 27t brushed motor with the ae-1 speed control. My problem with this set up it is too fast. I have tried gearing it down but then it over heats. Could it just be the speed control I need to change?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

the sidewinder just needs the castle link for programming, it will also need the CC BEC. the HH torquemaster uses the castlelink also and doesn't need the BEC so for 10 bucks more you get a better ESC.

gearing down should lessen heat not create it.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #13

My mistake, I meant to say was I geared it for less speed. I went from a 12 tooth pinion to a 19 tooth pinion to slow it down a bit. If I get a higher turn motor that should lessen the heat as well right?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWETHETIGER73 View Post
My mistake, I meant to say was I geared it for less speed. I went from a 12 tooth pinion to a 19 tooth pinion to slow it down a bit. If I get a higher turn motor that should lessen the heat as well right?

A 19 tooth pinion will make the motor work harder thus more heat and speed, go back to the 12 tooth or get a higher turn motor
waterweezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have the rooster, but it came with the rig when I bought it. I've not had really any problems with it. If you check their website they sell refurbished units and some guys got there's that way and haven't had a problem with them. I've ran the stock axial with a 27t, the brake was terrible the speed was nice, ran it with the rooster and it wasn't bad at all, better brakes. But I run a 45t with my rooster, integy motor.

But any one that everyone has recommend will be a huge difference from the stock one. Just go and get what you feel comfortable getting.
Ghostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #16

Sounds good, Looks like I have some research to do. Thanks all
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post

i haven't been happy with my goat, it's hard to downhill. at part throttle it coast and letting out locks up the hold brake and flips you. i'd love to here a report on the mamba max pro on brushless. when i played with on road stuff years ago i hated the maintence on my 10t brushed motors, so i prefer brushless.

All brushed ESCs will "coast" at part throttle. Currently there is not a method to detect motor speed when the fets are running, because of many factors including motor design.

You can add stiffer springs and softer brushes to help the situation. Also, different motor design can cause an increase in drag.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
All brushed ESCs will "coast" at part throttle. Currently there is not a method to detect motor speed when the fets are running, because of many factors including motor design.

You can add stiffer springs and softer brushes to help the situation. Also, different motor design can cause an increase in drag.
it's the 18.5 brushless.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The MMpro didn't have drag during throttle usage when I tested the other day.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
RCC Addict

thanks for that info, how did the drag work? was it instant lockup? is there a motor with a stronger magnet that will help?