Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tube chassis questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tube chassis questions...

So I want to make a tube chassis for my XTM X-crawler. I have read countless build threads and read about brazing, soldering, welding.. etc.

I had available some silver solder and a butane torch, so i grabbed some copper tubing 1/4" and a bender. I got the roll of tubing so it was a chore to make straight pieces. I managed to solder an ok first attempt of a tuber together, but its far from presentable. can some one give me some tips on how to get pieces the same when doing 2 sides.. bends the same. Mine looks a little out of shape, some bends are a few degrees off.. its just not squared up right. does it just take practice and trial and error until you get the pieces right or is there something im missing ? any tricks to holding the pieces together while im soldering ? Am I using the wrong material ? I would love to make a semi scale jeep... but I dont even know where to start.. any links to threads or any advice is appriciated. thanks
prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

im not an expert but copper is a little soft for making a tuber, it will work but will bend very easy. steel brake line is better to use its stronger and easy to bend, as far as getting the bends the same you could pick up one of these http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...or-293910.aspx or just bend one peice and mach the next to the one you just made. you will also want to get silver brazing wire and flux, harris saftey silv45 and the harris flux paste is what i have used and is found at you local welding supply. silver solder will not be strong enough for steel it works fine for copper but will not give you a strong enough joint with steel, and as far as torches go you will need to get a mapp gas torch you wont need an oxy mapp setup, just mapp will be fine butane will not burn hot enough for steel. but the best thing to do is practice, practice, practice, your first one will not always be the best looking, i say use the copper to practice bends and getting them the same then when you feel comfortable move on to steel. here is one that i started but havent finished as of yet
hendrix motorsports 2.2
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That thing looks real nice, I want to be able to do something along those lines. Can you braze aluminum to steel ? I guess I have some research to do. It looks like brazing has much cleaner stronger joints, so I will have to head that route. copper is pretty soft... but its decent practice. Im planning on building a super as I have the XTM kit, so I will have to learn to braze... thanks for the tips, any more are welcome...
prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #4

I don't mean to hijack the thread but what are you guys using to make you bends. is there some tool or are you just bending by hand?
FruitaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitaCrawler View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what are you guys using to make you bends. is there some tool or are you just bending by hand?
Some people use a tube bender, some use a jig, some use a vice and anything round to bend against.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozak View Post
That thing looks real nice, I want to be able to do something along those lines. Can you braze aluminum to steel ? I guess I have some research to do. It looks like brazing has much cleaner stronger joints, so I will have to head that route. copper is pretty soft... but its decent practice. Im planning on building a super as I have the XTM kit, so I will have to learn to braze... thanks for the tips, any more are welcome...
thanks that was my second atempt at making a chassis believe it or not lol. no you cant braze aluminum to steel, yes copper would be very useful to practice on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitaCrawler View Post
i use a cheapo bendin tool from the parts store
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

if you get brazing rods for copper you can braze it to learn a little better,,its easier if you straighten the copper form the start,,run a dowel up through a long piece of it to straighten it out,,then practice bending,,,just remember,,copper is softer so it bends easier it also has a thicker wall to it for its size than steel tubing of the same outside diameter...pick up some junk steel brake line from the junk yard to practice on then get the new stuff to build once you get confident
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

A peg board and some dowels make a good jig.....
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i just wire welded mine theres a bit more cleanup.....didnt turn out like the perfect picture in my head but hey! who cares?
RuberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote