Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ESC question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESC question...

Hey guys I just got payed for a big job I did so Im ordering a scx10 tonight from rpp and everything else I need...

I'm getting the kit so I will be able to add the electronics I want... I just need a few questions answered before I place my order...

1) Tazer 15T Forward/Reverse ESC (http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/dyn4925.htm
This is the ESC I was thinking about getting because I'm sure I will want to upgrade to one with drag brakes on it sooner than later... What does the 15T stand for? does that mean I can only use it with a 15T motor?
Or
AI QUANTM RUNNER PLUS(Water Proof) (http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/lrp83060.htm)
was the other one I was considering... in the item description it says something about forward/brake/reverse but this esc seems to cheap to have drag brakes on it... and will either of these work with lipo?
2) I am a complete noob when it comes to the world of electric rc and especially batteries... I have read almost everything I can find about them but im still in the dark about what I should be looking for... I found tons of them at rpp but i just dont know what to look for... if someone could look at rpphobby.com and pick out a good battery/charger combo and let me know...
3)Motor... Im still a bit hazy in terms of what I should be looking for... there are so many on rpp's website what I just cant decide... a few that caught my eye are:
Novak FIFTY FIVE CRAWLER MOTOR (http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov3555.htm)
Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 45T Single (http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intscm4501.htm)
these were the only 2 that I could find in my price range... Both of wich seem kind of crappy...
Veilside159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Try this.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov1843.htm
More money but you will like it. As far as a charger there are alot more options out there like
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...lancer/Charger
Then you can go lipo
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9172
This will get you about 5 hours of run time

The 15t means you can run a motor 15 turns or Higher.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick response!!! I like the battery and charger but the esc/motor combo is a bit out of my price range... any other ideas?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Also another question I just thought of... I just ordered the battery and changer you recommended but do I need to get a special connector to make sure I can hook the thing up to the scx10?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Try this.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov1843.htm
More money but you will like it. As far as a charger there are alot more options out there like
Question for you about the esc... it says it has a BEC a 5v? isnt that really high for it to kill the power?
Now that Im looking at more of them alot have a bec at 5v is that to say that when the bat reads 5v it shuts everything down?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd get some deans ultra plugs for the batt to ESC connections, 2 male (for the ESC and charger) and 1 female per battery. the BEC is what powers the servo and rx, it puts out 5 amps at 6 volts. I'd recommend a tekin fxr 35t motor ESC combo, it'll be much faster than the rooster on 2s and can be run on 3s for even more speed.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I would seriously consider saving some more money and getting the rooster combo. Also, now that you ordered a lipo battery and charger, you will need a esc that is lipo capable and has a voltage cutoff.

The BEC, stands for battery elimination circuit/ I understand that the BEC senses the battery voltage and at the low end of voltage, it will shut down the motors and leave you with power to the rx and also the servo. Most people run an external BEC for maximum power if you plan on running a high torque servo.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunch View Post
I would seriously consider saving some more money and getting the rooster combo. Also, now that you ordered a lipo battery and charger, you will need a esc that is lipo capable and has a voltage cutoff.

The BEC, stands for battery elimination circuit/ I understand that the BEC senses the battery voltage and at the low end of voltage, it will shut down the motors and leave you with power to the rx and also the servo. Most people run an external BEC for maximum power if you plan on running a high torque servo.
you have BEC and lipo cutoff confused.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well I just ordered the Scx10 kit and the rooster motor combo. I also just got brand new stock sx10 radio and receiver off of ebay for 25 with shipping... Now I just need to decide what to do about the servo...

Use the hitec 645mg I have in my mrc already or cough up the cash for a new one...
Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
you have BEC and lipo cutoff confused.
Lol now I even more confused!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

the lipo cutoff cuts power to the motor when voltage drops to the mininium level, the rx and servo will still work.

the BEC supplies power to the rx and servo

"The BEC, stands for battery elimination circuit. Most people run an external BEC for maximum power if you plan on running a high torque servo./ I understand that the lipo cutoff senses the battery voltage and at the low end of voltage, it will shut down the motors and leave you with power to the rx and also the servo" is how it should have read.

on the servo the 645mg is the min you want to run, if your gonna comp later you'll want something twice as strong.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
on the servo the 645mg is the min you want to run, if your gonna comp later you'll want something twice as strong.
whats a good servo for the money? I'll just buy the better one now!

And with the rooster i dont need a BEC then is that what your saying?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i can't say on good for the money, i burnt a s3305 within a couple weeks with my artr. bought a 8711 and it's been problem free for almost a year now, cheap it wasn't though.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

What about the ESC? Did I understand you correctly?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

the BEC in the rooster crawler ESC is good for most servos
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #16

with my experience with a tazer15 esc, they don't like lipo batteries. I smoked one literally, in less than 15 minutes.
dodge44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #17
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
the BEC in the rooster crawler ESC is good for most servos
If you are going to be running a high torque servo (250oz and up) you need to run a Castle BEC with that Rooster Crawler ESC! I've had plenty of them, trust me! A Rooster Crawler ESC will not push a high torque servo around like it will with a external BEC! Spend the $20 and buy a Castle BEC, you'll thank me later!

Or the other route to go down is ditch the Rooster and get a Holmes Torque Master ESC! His built in BEC will handle the high torque servos with ease and that ESC is good for a 6s lipo! Hands down the best brushed crawler ESC on the market!!!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote