Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just a few newbie questions I havent seen answers for

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just a few newbie questions I havent seen answers for

1. Thats the average speed of a crawler on the ground IE: not climbling?

2. Ive come to decide brushed seems better for the most part, whats the prefered turn on a brushed motor for a 2.2 or is it more manufacturer specific?

3. What is an impressive degree of incline to climb?

4. Can anyone send me some dimentions of a comp crawler, so I can play with all my welders and brazing equipment in the garage? I would like to possibly build my own.

5. Low COG, front weight? Which is perfered when climbing, or does it just matter when your climbing what would work better?

6. On a Losi Night Crawler(probably my first purchase) should I relocate the battery somewhere for better performance?

Well thats about all the info I really have not found much answers for, which is rather amazing because I came to these forums just a few days ago with a TON of questions, after browsing these forums, buying a star(hehe), applying for some of the free stuff, Ive been left with a rather small list to what was in my head before.

Thanks rccrawler.com and all its members for such an amazing wealth of information. Without you I dont think I would really have the courage to get into this new and seemingly wonderful area of RC I have not yet explored!

Thanks in advance for all your help and answers!

-James
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

Well lest take a walk around the rock pile and see if this answers your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
1. Thats the average speed of a crawler on the ground IE: not climbling?

A Brisk walk to slow jog

2. Ive come to decide brushed seems better for the most part, whats the prefered turn on a brushed motor for a 2.2 or is it more manufacturer specific?

Starter is generally 55T turn which is supplied, you want more speed and torque, get a hand wound 35T, I personally run the FX-R systems but there are many others out there that are good too, stock will get you running, but in the end it is just that!, and having a lipo battery will make a differance in the power and ability of your RC. Personally for me the FX-R just gives you the footprint and nessesary steps to dial it in for crawler purpose application.you can also jeck out Holmes hobbies for his Motor and ESC's as well as RC4WD.

3. What is an impressive degree of incline to climb?

I have seen guys pretty much climb almost straight up a rock, depends on what you run and how its built to get the best CG and abilty out of it. This will come in time as you learn and stick with it. There is no such thing as a perfect crawler or we all would have it.

4. Can anyone send me some dimentions of a comp crawler, so I can play with all my welders and brazing equipment in the garage? I would like to possibly build my own.

Best bet is to look through the vendors market or build threads to find exactly what your looking for. Just having a welder isnt going to make you understand how to build these if you dont understand the dynamics of the design. But Nothing wrong with playing around!

5. Low COG, front weight? Which is perfered when climbing, or does it just matter when your climbing what would work better?

Again it depends on your setup. Axial axles generally run better for a good chuck of applications with low gear front and faster in back. Gives ya more scoot went hill climbing and a more steady grab when using the front wheels. But everyone has their own preferance. not everything I have is set up that way.

6. On a Losi Night Crawler(probably my first purchase) should I relocate the battery somewhere for better performance?

Low CG is your best option always. The lower it is the better your performance will be.

Well thats about all the info I really have not found much answers for, which is rather amazing because I came to these forums just a few days ago with a TON of questions, after browsing these forums, buying a star(hehe), applying for some of the free stuff, Ive been left with a rather small list to what was in my head before.

Thanks rccrawler.com and all its members for such an amazing wealth of information. Without you I dont think I would really have the courage to get into this new and seemingly wonderful area of RC I have not yet explored!

Thanks in advance for all your help and answers!

Youll find that the best build is one you build yourself. nothing wrong with buying an RTR or ARTR, But most of the time as in anything RC, you find that its best to just build something from scratch. Its cheaper in the long run and your not stuck with a bunch of useless crap from the leftovers.
And remember that just because something looks good doesnt make it better. I have found that the simplest of designs are the best crawlers. It doesnt have to be pretty, it just has to be competitive!

-James

Last edited by team3six; 12-02-2009 at 01:23 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thats lotsa info thanks. perhaps just a small other question...

Im looking into building my own comp rig, and perhaps a 1/5th scale rig. I cant seem to find any info on wheelbase/width, any info on stats would be greatly helpful.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my very important questions(atleast to me they are :P)

-James
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

A link to the rules. This should provide some answers to you questions about vehicle size. The classes are 1.9, 2.2, and Super. 2.2 is the most popular.

http://usrcca.com/rules2008.pdf
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote