RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Charger - Reviews / What to look for (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/215454-charger-reviews-what-look.html)

Notpalc 12-07-2009 04:20 PM

Charger - Reviews / What to look for

I am sure it's been asked 1000x and I am not looking and searching in the right place.

Are there any recommendations on chargers or review? What exactly should one look for? Adjustability? Types of battery Nihm or Lipo? AC / DC?

My background is that I have just got a stock AX10 Scorpion kit and have two 1800 batteries - but I don't have a charger. Makes it a little tough to run. I plan on upgrading to a brushless motor and maybe go lipo in the future (right now I am need of a charger and then going to upgrade the chassis). I might also plan to build a rig from scratch - so I would like to have any option open without having to buy another charger. I may get into building my own batteries, but from what I can tell it looks like people build them out there for cheaper than I could buy the parts.

Now from my younger days, when I had a 4WD Kyosho Javelin, it was best to let the charger trickle (less amps) the battery to get a good charge. It seems today though you can charge a battery in about 12 - 15 mins. I would say this would deteriorate the battery - but I don't know how many runs you would get - are we talking the difference of 5% more runs or 75%?

From my initial research it looks like chargers range from $35 to $350. The higher ones tend to be DC only. Is this because they are used in the field? Or do you get a better efficient charger doing only DC? My budget is in the mid range - $100 or so - but if there is something I am missing in the difference between a $300 and a $100 charger (besides being able to charge more batteries - I would say 2 at a time would be plenty) I would lean to the $100 if it had a balancer, adjustable charging, two batteries, AC/DC.

Also any recommendations on specific models would be great. I would list what I have considered, but it's at home.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Notpalc

Notpalc 12-07-2009 08:17 PM

Additional Info

I was wondering what people here thought of the

Elite 6i BC (from what I read it's based on the Bantam)

or

Hyperion HP-EOS0606i AC/DC Balancer/Charger (I like this because it seems like it's a little more robust - but they both are 6 amps ?)

Right now I am leaning towards the Elite - other comparable models seem to have good reviews.

Thanks
-Notpalc

yellowpasta2000 12-07-2009 08:35 PM

Bantam BC6- seriously look no further. If u wana charge more then 5 amps then get the triton eq2 goes up 2 10amps. These chargers will charge almost anything related 2 rc. I have both and couldent b happier!

Rockcrawler 12-07-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notpalc (Post 2149986)
Hyperion HP-EOS0606i AC/DC Balancer/Charger

That is what I use and love it. "thumbsup"

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1

Notpalc 12-08-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2150037)
That is what I use and love it. "thumbsup"

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1

Yeah - I am liking this one more and more the more I read.

oldhippie 12-08-2009 12:39 PM

Look for a quality charger that can easily do nimh/lipo, balance/charge/discharge/store, ac/dc. My Hyperion HP-EOS0606i AC/DC Balancer/Charger is foolproof and does everything. Only thing better would be another one. 8)

bivens22 12-08-2009 08:53 PM

I am using the Bantam BC6. It is the best charger I've ever owned. It can do just about everything that you could need. NICAD, NMH, and Lipo. Up to 5 amp charge rate. Balances too.

silentcircus 12-09-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

This is the one I have as well. Great charger!

Notpalc 12-09-2009 06:33 PM

Thanks guys. This has been a lot of help to see what others are running.

waterweezel 12-09-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

I was wondering what people here thought of the

Elite 6i BC (from what I read it's based on the Bantam)

or

Hyperion EOS0606i and don't look back, best charger IMHO "thumbsup"

rock hard 12-09-2009 10:22 PM

my advice...........
dont spend much on your charger.unless it can charge a lipo in the future.
as you really need to go lipo.
you need something ac/dc
or atleast dc and the get a power supply.but you need to be able to charge in the field.or aleast it is helpfull.
and it is best if you can charge 2 batt. at once.if its not much more.

I have a duratrax intella??? it is ac/dc and dual. it was like $50
but it doesnt do lipo
then I got a seperat charger for lipo
dc only plus a power supply. charges 4 at a time.$160
lipo is the way to go.

Notpalc 12-14-2009 06:30 PM

RH

Thanks for the advice. I think either of those chargers meet all the criteria, lipo, AC/DC, 2 batteries, balancer - but they are a little over $85 or $125 and was trying to determine the $40 more.

Like they always say, you get what you pay for.

-Notpalc

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock hard (Post 2154764)
my advice...........
dont spend much on your charger.unless it can charge a lipo in the future.
as you really need to go lipo.
you need something ac/dc
or atleast dc and the get a power supply.but you need to be able to charge in the field.or aleast it is helpfull.
and it is best if you can charge 2 batt. at once.if its not much more.

I have a duratrax intella??? it is ac/dc and dual. it was like $50
but it doesnt do lipo
then I got a seperat charger for lipo
dc only plus a power supply. charges 4 at a time.$160
lipo is the way to go.

Notpalc 12-14-2009 06:32 PM

That was my initial thought but they guys at CheapBatteries say the Elite 6i BC will do everything and it's a little cheaper. It seems like it's a bargain and not just cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterweezel (Post 2154450)
Hyperion EOS0606i and don't look back, best charger IMHO "thumbsup"

Mikeney 12-17-2009 08:02 AM

The Elite 6i caught my eye also but after a little research I talked myself out of that one. I'm going with the EOS0606i when I get the cash.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882297

Notpalc 12-19-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeney (Post 2169978)
The Elite 6i caught my eye also but after a little research I talked myself out of that one. I'm going with the EOS0606i when I get the cash.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882297

Yeah I read that awhile ago also. Though they guys over at cheapbatteries.com say they are just as good. Might give it a try.