Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What to do...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What to do...

Alright so Im at a point of purchasing a crawler very soon. I have a huge dilemma tho.
I am 90% set on getting the SCX 10.
However Im planning on modding this crawler eventually but want to spend around $350-400 to have something running ready to play with at the moment.

MY options are

Code:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_59&products_id=1363
(1) Ax90007 scx10 kit
(1) Futaba/Hitec/or Airtronics 2ch am radio with servo.
(1) Tazer or Intellispeed electronic speed control.
(1) pr1600 6 cell battery.
(1) Onyx 100 peak Quick charger. . 
(1) Integy 45t or 55t crawler motor
$370.99

or

Code:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_59&products_id=2348
 Axial SCX10 -TR
$269.99

or

Code:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=167_168&products_id=2341
Venom Creeper Crawler (RTR Kit B)
(1) Venom crawler kit.
(1) CKRC Stage 2 suspension kit
(2) pairs of Hot Bodies Rover tires (white)
(1) Venom 3ch FM radio
(1) mg995 hi torque servo
(1) CKRC aluminum servo arm
(1) Tazer or Intellispeed electronics speed control.
(1) Venom 1800 6 cell battery.
(1) Onyx 100 peak Quick charger.
(1) **Venom 50 or 55t motor
$306.99

I have seen people talking about not need receivers and radios if you have R/c's.
Im just curious on peoples opinions of I should get.
I have two traxxas vehicles. A TMAXX 1.5 and an Electric Rustler.
Are there any parts I could use from these to assist in lowering the cost of just getting the SCX10 kit and purchasing the other parts.
Things I Was thinking that could be removed/used might be the servo, radio, reciever, or ESC...

Also, must be from CKRC, I have a $100 g/c I need to use.

Last edited by house_Fly; 12-09-2009 at 01:52 AM.
house_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
kgf

first of all,i think that since ur going for an RTR and since u wanna stay within those price limits theres no point getting extra radio.u can use that money for hopups instead.the reason is that rtrs come with radios.thats what i would do anyway.secondly,since ur budget covers all three cars ull have to decide what ur gonna be doing.if i was interested mostly on scale-trail stuff i would go for the scx.if i wanted more extreme climbing style stuff id go with the venom.or the ax10 which i have u might wanna go lippo as well.ive seen a huge increase in torque once i started using em.

as for using parts from ur other vehicles,im not very familiar with traxxas so the only thing i can think of that may or may not fit is the shocks.if the ones u have are alloy or just with metal caps and they fit id use em.i had problems with the stock caps on my ax10.as well as the "servo, radio, reciever, or ESC..." that u mentioned.

Last edited by kgf; 12-09-2009 at 03:28 AM.
kgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

It also depends if you want to spend the time building a kit. I love building the trucks peice by peice, but thats just me. The scx10 is a very capable rig. But the the creeper with mods will out crawl it anyday.Your traxxas radio, reciever, and servo will work in any of those trucks. And possibly some other parts too. Like kgf said it depends what u want to do with it.
hope this helps.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the help, I have no problem constructing the kit and making it from scratch. I just have to find a starting place. IF I design it I will know a lot more about the crawler, so when maintenance needs happen I am able to repair them. That is good to hear that I can use some of the parts from my old rcs. I think I'm just going to get the kit and build it. Now its time for me to search the fourms and find cheap/effective parts.
I guess the next step would be selecting things I will need.

• Radio = Traxxas Tmaxx
• Motor = Integy 55t ?
• ESC = ?
• BEC wherever I get one of those = ?
• Battery = ?
and I think i want to buy the
• Spring 12.5x40mm 2.7 lbs/in - Super Soft (Red) - (2pcs)
for more flex.

The more i look i might wait for the TRAIL HONCHO. Looks sweet and is a bit longer.

Last edited by house_Fly; 12-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
kgf

building it urself will definately help with ur understanding of the vehicle.as i understand it,you will be using it both for some climbing as well as trailing.
in my opinion a 55t motor is the way to go and with the right gearing u can have descent results on both situations.so personaly,i would invest on a couple different size gears as well as pinions instead of getting the supersoft springs.
i would get the soft ones btw.the supersofts are too soft in my opinion.and the ones it comes with have worked fine for a friend of mine that owns it.then again its up to you.
As for the BEC as far as i know u dont need one.get an esc that can take lipo and i realy advise you to use lipo batteries.its made a huge difference for me.get a 4000lipo. that should keep u going for an hour or so.at least
the esc is up to you and your budget.it should have drag break settings etc and a crawler specific esc is best i think.like the novak rooster and such.but again thats up to you.
kgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'd say go with the TR. It comes with everything you need to hit the trails, also you have some extra money to mod it later down the road if you want. Get it, get used to crawling/scaling and decide what you want to upgrade from there. As long as your not a complete ass or know how to use the search button, if anything goes wrong with the truck, people here will help you figure out how to fix it.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the help, guess the waiting game starts. I have to wait till my g/c to ckrc comes. I think I may end up with 2 crawlers when its all said and done.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i have built two venom creepers and love them. At first lots of repairs but easy to do sence i built them i am running the traxxas XL-5 esc and the TQ3 with the venom 55t motor and was using the blue bird 660 servo but i burned it up not sure how? but anyways i think for having a blast for cheep venom all the way. and with the venom 3600 i can run for 45minutes crazy
n0b420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0b420 View Post
i have built two venom creepers and love them. At first lots of repairs but easy to do sence i built them i am running the traxxas XL-5 esc and the TQ3 with the venom 55t motor and was using the blue bird 660 servo but i burned it up not sure how? but anyways i think for having a blast for cheep venom all the way. and with the venom 3600 i can run for 45minutes crazy
OH you guys, and your post. I need to borrow someones swiss bank account for this site. There is just to much. (system overload) And that is great news that I can use all those traxxas parts. I have every one of those. Plus I have the 3600 for my rustler... So looks like for the venom Ill just need a motor.... man I thought I had it all figured out.... More digging through the fourms. Thanks for all the hours of research I get to put into these things. Its sure boring being unemployed.