Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Drilling Holes In Wheels for Water Runs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Drilling Holes In Wheels for Water Runs?

For water runs on my AX10 I have drilled holes in the wheels as a lot of people have done and I cut small holes into the stock Rock Lizzards as well, but I did not cut holes in the tires though when I upgraded to HB Rovers.

On my new SCX10 I have read mixed reviews on drilling holes in the wheels. Some say yes some say no. What is everyone doing for their 1.9 wheel setup for water runs?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I actually like to plug my holes to not let water in the foams. Just what I like to do.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It's probably better to punch holes in the tires so that any water inside can come out. This is what we do with offroad racing, rather than drill holes in the rims.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
It's probably better to punch holes in the tires so that any water inside can come out. This is what we do with offroad racing, rather than drill holes in the rims.
you put holes in the tires and they still hold air?

put holes in the rims not the tires, most rims come with holes in them anyway. if not, make sure its a REAL small hole so it doesnt take in too much water.. and make sure you glue the tires good
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Lol...like I said mixed reviews...I think on my SCX10 scaler I will keep it sealed up for now and do some water runs and keep yall posted.

On my AX10 with drilled holes on the wheels it helped push some air out when under full articulation which helps the tires grab a stronger hold on top of the memory foams I have in there.

Downside is every now and then when I check the inside of the foams they are moist.....I hope mold doesn't grow inside!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

If you put holes in the rims, how is the water supposed to drain out? It'll just collect in the tire. Use a good leather punch to make nice clean holes in your tires. Centriugal force will help spin the water of the tire. And no need to worry about air in the tires, as thats what the foam is supposed to do (help the tire keep it's shape) The foam will dry out, and the centrifugal force will help speed up the process. You'll probably want to put 3 or 4 smaller evenly spaced holes dow nthe center of the tire as opposed to 1 or 2 bigger holes.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxas4fun View Post
you put holes in the tires and they still hold air?
The purpose of punching holes in either the tires or the rims is to let the air out, not hold it in...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The purpose of punching holes in either the tires or the rims is to let the air out, not hold it in...
my bad, i sware when i read that you said thats what you did with 1:1 vehicles was put holes in tires to keep water out.. i was like how do they hold air, and water shouldnt get in them in the 1st place..

and by putting holes in the rims, it gives the water a place to come out, not just sit in the foam and rott the foam
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I always put holes in the rims and tires,They Will get waterlogged and Heavy.With enough wheel speed most of the water will come out.All I have too say is good luck with your bearings!
Cliffhanger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Short of taking them apart, or setting the wheels next to a dry heat source, foams will stay damp under that rubber. Holes in the tires, so centripetal force spins the water out, theoretically, will only help with what the foams don't absorb and retain.

I ran some stock MRC tires/foams (with holes) through water, "squeezed" them out when I was finished, and then didn't run them for months; they stayed inside the house all summer/fall. A few weeks ago I opened them up to steal some of the lead rope I had inside and the foams were still wet, they were a little nasty, and this is in 'warm' California.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

hmmm...so I guess more people are putting holes in the wheels.

But if you are water running I guess it's always safer to dry the foams out after you fling as much water out as possible...

I haven't had foams go moldy on me yet. Then again I haven't been hardcore water running to a point where the entire rig was submersed.

Any crazies out there that can provide more feedback?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

How deep of water you plan on running through? Are your wheels weighted? I have a AX10 with sealed tires/wheels and are weighted(can't remember how much) with more weights in the front. I can drive it through water with no problem until I try to completely submerge it. Then it sinks the front but with the less weight in the rear wheels the back end wants to float. But if I dont go through water no deeper than a little half way up my wheels then there is no problem with water crossing.
rburda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I personally plug the holes in my rims if I know I'm gonna be playing in the water. I've come to learn that the water seems to make the foams wear alot quiker. I now have a set of tires for playing in the water and mud to save my good tires/foams.
LeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
RCC Addict

you could have a dry set and a wet set of tires. the dry set would have holes, the wet set would not.maby not something you would do if you didnt have lots of money to blow but just a though
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Keep it real

I seal up my rims/tires for running in water. If not, as soon as you drive through the water and the foams absorb the water, they get real heavy and totally change the setup of the car, and in order to get them dried out, you have to break them down and pull the foams out so they will actually dry.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote