Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Custom Crawler acting up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Default Custom Crawler acting up

I recently purchased a lot of RC cars from a gentleman, included was an Axial SCX10 (Love it) and a custom crawler. The Axial is running just fine, the custom crawler is acting up though.

Whenever I go to throttle up the truck is fine, then it starts to almost stutter as if the motor were struggling to keep the gears moving. When lifted off the ground the driveline works flawlessly, when set down the truck is incredibly jumpy. I dont know much at all about the truck or the axles on the truck, I do know that the trans "appears" to be an RC4WD trans. I have taken it apart and went through it and everything seems to be fine in it. The speed controller is fine as I have tested others that I know work in place of it.

Any help would be deeply appreciated, Happy Crawling!

Luke
TNZ Softmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

does it have a brushed or brushless motor??
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

pics could help
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #4

It is a brushed Integy 55x1 motor, as for pics let me fire up my old bucket, pics coming soon.

Thanks,

Luke
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #5

Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That truck appears to be, as you mentioned, a custom crawler with an RC4WD R2 Tranny, Tamiya Hi-lift axles and what looks like an Integy Lathe motor. It sounds like you need to replace the brushes and springs in your motor. Here is some info on RC motors:

http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric...ning-guide.htm

http://www.rcracingusa.net/electricmotor.htm

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=57986
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #7

Thanks aton Jeremy. This leads me to another question, rather than rebuilding the old motor, what motor do you suggest i use? Would a stock 27T motor suffice, or is that too much power?

Thanks,

Luke
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well, I'm not exactly sure what motor you are currently using, but I'd wager that it is probably a 55T, so you'll see a drastic increase in speed! If you are just using this truck as a backyard basher/ trail truck (judging by all of the waterproof components, it looks like this is what the previous owner used this truck for), then that 27T motor would probably work nicely. I like 35T motors in my scalers and that 27T isnt far off. You'll have a lot less torque with a 27T than with a 55T, but it should be fine. Install the 27T and give it a shot! You dont have anything to lose but a bit of your time...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #9

Well I dont own any motors aside from 19turn, so I would be purchasing one, Id like something from my LHS but if you think a 35 turn would be better I may order one, would it be worth waiting a week for 1 I guess is my question?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well, that depends on how impatient you are. I am terribly impatient and usually want stuff quickly. A good 35T handwound motor will provide great speed and torque for your truck...
Old 12-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #11

i would have to say im pretty impatient haha. Who makes a good 35T, Ill probably order one for a spare.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I run the Fantom Racing Blitz 35T motors in my comp truck (Bully) and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #13

I had an extra integy 55turn laying around and it is working much better now. Thanks all, now to do some chassis modification
Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Glad you got it figured out! These electromagnetic motors dont require a lot of maintenance, but occasionally you have to replace the brushes and springs.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

it sounds like the comm is glazed too,,it isnt real hard to do internal motor maintanance,,take the screws out of the end bell and carefully pull the armature out,,just release the brush springs first and pull the brushes clear,,,the armature will stck a bit as it is pulled to one magnet or the other.

put the amature in a high speed drill or a dremel and turn it at medium speed,,,use very fine sandpaper or a fingernail polishing stick to turn the comm,,thats the copper colored ring at the end of the armature opposite of the output shaft,,once its all shiny then reinstall with new brushes and springs,,make sure you apply very slight pressure to the comm when you polish it though,,you dont want to groove it
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

If the comm is not too badly grooved then you can remove and clean the brushes, cut a pencil eraser to same size as the brush and push it against the comm through the brush port and give the armature a few spins, that will clean up the comm, done this a few times, and it works pretty well.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote