Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Radio question for a venom crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

Default Radio question for a venom crawler

Hello, first off i want to say you have a great site and thank you for it.
My last rc truck was a stadium blitzer over 15 years ago. After reading thru tons of posts I decided i am going to go with the venom creeper. I was going to go with an rtr setup but by the time you burn up and replace parts it comes out to be more in the long run, so it seams. I will be going with either the sindwinder esc or the tekin fxr. not sure of the motor yet, 45t or 55t possible (still reading up on that part). In the long run if all goes well I want to install the dig, 4 wheel steer and the remote locker (in a dream world anyway). Now my question is will a 3 channel still work with all these options or do I need a 5 channel? I haven't picked a brand yet, will look for a used one. I just want to try and plan it out so I can spend just once and just add as i go.

Thanks for all your help with this
Dennis
Banshee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You need

1 channel for steering(2 wheel or 4 wheel if you always want both axles turning at the same time)
1 channel for throttle
1 channel for dig
1 channel for each remote locker(so 1 or 2 channels)

So you need 4 channels for simultaneous 4WD steering, throttle, dig, and one remote locker.
You need 6 channels for selective 4WD steering, throttle, dig, and 2 remote lockers.

In all reality though you should all of these things do essentially the same thing, make you able to steer tighter.

If you are going to use this for comps, you want dig... you cannot have 4WS and the diff lockers are impractical.
If you are doing this for fun and bashing 4WS is probably the coolest and to be able to crab and have rear steer only etc, you will need a programmable radio.
If you are going to build a scaler that is probably the time it makes the most sense to use the diff lockers.

So... I hope that helps.
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you just want a cheap, stick 6 channel radio, this might do the job = http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrc62tr.html it's about 50$ shipped brand new. I was prob going to get one for my 3D foamies in the spring.

I picked up 2 creepers for the kids. Just got 90% done with the 1st green one (2nd red one is still out on a Fed-Ex truck for delivery this week)

I would not mess with the remote lockers. Either JB Weld the gears together, or get the FLM Lockers. Seen too many reports of problems on here and photos of the 3 little pins just sheered off that lock the diff. I just JB welded the gears on mine for economy's sake.

In terms of electronics, I am putting in a Airtronics MX sport 2.4Ghz radio. (99$ retail) It's 3 channel, but only a A/B switch for the 3rd channel. If I decide to drop a DIG in later, I can just lock the rear and that should be good enough for the kid.

ESC is a Castle Creations Sidewinder

Motor stock 27T as I had a few laying around.

Servo is a Cirrus - 30$, 195oz Tq = http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/440704.asp
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You'll need 6 channels for everything to work right. Ya can pick up a dx6 parkflyer for @ $100 on ebay that will do it all I think. I'm not messing with any diff locks but putting together a dual esc/motor 2.2 basher with rear steer using one.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Wow, thank you. This all makes sense. Thanks for the breakdown as far as a comp's would go, what is allowed. I just assumed you would run everything. I'm just going to go with the dig and 4 wheel independent steer down the road. I have to get at least a 4 channel. Thanks, now I know what to look out for.

Dennis
Banshee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Another inexpensive radio to look at is the Traxxas 4 Channel. The 4-channel transmitter includes a two-position third channel switch and 3-position fourth channel. It also has 2 Steering servo slots so you don't need to use a Y cable to run dual steering servos.

However, my dealer page shows a new version coming soon that is similar to the 2 channel High Output one that comes with the new Slash 4X4. Multiple vehicle memory, EXP settings, etc.....

http://www.traxxas.com/scripts/trxne...php?newsid=216
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I really wish those new traxxas radios had EPAs on the 3rd and 4th channel... they would be the best value out there. I am not 100% sure you will be able to install EPAs on the new radios like you can on just the standard TQ3/4. Hopefully this will drastically lower the price of the old TQ4 though.
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote