Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Pros and Cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Pros and Cons

I figured this would probably be the best place to ask since most people would have started with a shaft driven rig before going to MOA.

What are the Pros and Cons of an MOA rig?
Iberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

There are no cons;) especially with the bullys. You can't break them and they perform great. It's never the trucks fault with moa/ bully! More pros are. Narrow chassis, more power, using motor stall as an advantage to make climbs easier, having the option of running duel esc. No torque twist, adjusting rife height without giving up as much cg to make huge breakover climbs!!, A LOT less tweaking and tinkering bw runs. I haven't had my moa for long but these are some things I've observed while watch other moa and shafty drivers... IMO there is no other option when you want the best comp rig money can buy....
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erforce52285 View Post
There are no cons;) especially with the bullys.
That is kind of what I was thinking. I couldn't come up with a con but figured I don't own one so that is probably why. Even a well built LCC would'nt have the low CG and break over angles the bully does. Not seeing how they could comp in the same class.
Iberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The only con I can think of is cost. MOA's are a bit more expensive. Not saying that you cant spend a load either way. I still think MOA is worth it. Once I get everything for my new Bully build my shafty will be a shelf queen or a scaler!
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetz View Post
The only con I can think of is cost. MOA's are a bit more expensive. Not saying that you cant spend a load either way. I still think MOA is worth it. Once I get everything for my new Bully build my shafty will be a shelf queen or a scaler!

this is actually false. startup yes shaftys are less expensive. go build an axial that will handel anywhere close to a bully and ur looking at atleast 2x more money. the moas are thought of as a higher cost because startup is more, the kits need to be upgraded or electronics need to be bought unlike a rtc or a rtr axial. but the shaftys out of the box cant touch most basic moa rigs. also its the driver. you can have the highest $$ rig out there but without the practice you still will get beat
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuup5150 View Post
this is actually false. startup yes shaftys are less expensive. go build an axial that will handel anywhere close to a bully and ur looking at atleast 2x more money. the moas are thought of as a higher cost because startup is more, the kits need to be upgraded or electronics need to be bought unlike a rtc or a rtr axial. but the shaftys out of the box cant touch most basic moa rigs. also its the driver. you can have the highest $$ rig out there but without the practice you still will get beat
So true....

I will also have to say clod stall starts as a con--but once you figure it out then its a pro.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I just built my bully for around $300. Granted i got some stuff second hand but still it was a load cheaper than my shafty. And works a ton better.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
So true....

I will also have to say clod stall starts as a con--but once you figure it out then its a pro.
I was wondering how you can use clod stall to your advantage?Not trying to steal the thred sorry.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuup5150 View Post
I was referring to startup, should have been clearer on that. I have a shafty that I have quite a bit of coin in at the moment so I know all about it! I'm ready to get my bully build. Tired of breaking out drives and twisting other parts! It really depends on what you plan on doing. Compete, bash, have fun with some friends. Unless you bash alone you can plan on dumping some cash into your rig shafty or MOA. Either way you go, eventual you will start throwing money at it! If I knew then what I know now I would have went straight for the MOA.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
I was wondering how you can use clod stall to your advantage?Not trying to steal the thred sorry.
You can use clod stall when your breaking over, so as the rear wheels dont try to flip the fron of the truck on its back.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

the way i have used it in the past is almost like free wheel theres a split second where your front wheels will be searching for traction while the back wheels are stalled. when the front wheels do find some bite they pull and take the wait off the rear which is enough to end the stall and pull you up the slope. in some cases if you used dig to attempted the climb the lack of rear wheel turn could hamper the truck to climb when the front does find traction... another time i see it is when im climbing... the front will spin a little faster than the "stalled" rear end which helps keep me from tipping back.maybe not the best explanation but it makes sense to me haha hopefully we can get a few more responses on this or maybe a video. yeah you should watch some moa driving. you can see in some cases where the stall comes into play. another thing i think is if youre worried about stall its probably bc you havent driven an moa yet to see how much of a non issue it is
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The con to moa is I didn't just build one right off instead of wasting all that time and money on a shafty. We should have a poll on how many folks wish they had never started with a shafty.:-(mrgreen: I tell everyone to start with a moa But they all seem to go out and get a rtr then end up replacing everything and selling it for a moa.:?
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

con it don't have drive shafts
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
thats a con? lol if thats the worst con we can think of i think its a safe bet that moa is the way to go lol
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
The con to moa is I didn't just build one right off instead of wasting all that time and money on a shafty. We should have a poll on how many folks wish they had never started with a shafty.:-(mrgreen: I tell everyone to start with a moa But they all seem to go out and get a rtr then end up replacing everything and selling it for a moa.:?
Lol. Agreed
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
That needed to be said again Biggest CON Ive Heard about a MOA is: Some people think there better than a shafty. SeCONd, the steering sucks on a Bully. Dont you have to spend like 2 hundred bucks on nuckles and shaft just to get almost good steering?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

if u know any one with a dremel tool the bully can have 47 + degrees of steering... that doesnt really seem like a bad amount to me just gotta take some of the beef out of the knuckles and a little off the cvds. they are still super strong afterwards.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #18

Whats the differences on the Bully and the Berg other than price?
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Whats the differences on the Bully and the Berg other than price?
From my understanding, Bully's are almost bullet proof out of the box. Bergs on the other hand are not. Bully's are heavier than Bergs. Bully's have went through several manufacturing changes due to customer response. I think its all a trade off between the two, I really dint think you can go wrong either way!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #20

From what im finding the bully costs about $350 for the roller. Is the berg $600 for the roller????????
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote