Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is this right? did i get ripped?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is this right? did i get ripped?

ok for christmas i got a traxxas waterproof rustler and i had it for like 3 weeks and i accidentally snapped my whole antenna in half, even the wire, dont ask LOL i was going to fix it myself (as in solder or sauder the wires back together) but my dad said it would be hard to do so we took it up to my LHS where i bought it and they said they couldnt sauder/solder it back together, they didnt give me a reason but i said ok... then they took it and said i had to get a new reciever and i was like "ooooookay?" and their now charging me 30$ for a reciever... is this right? i didnt think it worked like this...:?
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Yea, 30 bucks sounds about right. Or, you could ask your hobby shop for some antenna wire, crack the case on the rx and solder it yourself. Your going to have to either measure the 2 existing pieces to find the correct length or research and find out the exact length. Antenna wires have specific sizes that relate to output and range. Or, option 3, you can cut the rx wire but it needs to be done in equal measurements. Like half, or quarters. Why not see if you can fix the rx yourself and if you fudge it up, then spend 30 bucks on a new one. It would be well worth the experience and soldering is a must have skill in this hobby. Check out the solder threads in the electronics section. Good luck!
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yea.. thanks man! LOL i can solder pretty good but sometimes i tend to mess up, and im kinda out of wire lol thanks again!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Just go ahead and get a new one, unless you know you can fix it without messing it up. It won't hurt to try, but it could lead to other problems if not done correctly.
teamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I say give it a shot... buy a new one if ya mess it up real bad (just sayin what everyone else said...)

BUT... kinda odd that your LHS can't repair it. My local hobbytown offers "receiver antenna repair" for 5.00... which includes a new length of wire...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yep...give it a shot...either way your getting new receiver...if it works...YOU HAVE TWO...and in this hobby, soldering is needed....A LOT!!!!

you have nothing to loose..and I'm not sold on the antinnia has to be the same length..I have 3 JR 310 receivers and they are all different lengths..one is almost 2 feet long.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Shadowrejects, I dont know which hobby shop you went to, but the guys/gals at BMI on Parker and Custer should be able to fix you up!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I would give it a shot and replace it yourself. I have replaced quite a few when the wire gets to close to the spur....ahem when i forget to zip tie it that is ..
Red-F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have replaced quite a few antennas back in my dirt oval days and it is a piece of cake to do......give it a shot.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The lenth of the wire has to do with the wavelenth of the signal being transmitted, normally receiver antennas are 1/4 wavelenth.

In the world of RC it really will not make that much difference if you are 1/4 inch either way for an AM receiver. The biggest thing that will effect this repair are your soldering skills, if it is a clean joint it should have no issues, if you have a cold solder joint you will see a significant range decrease. The truely tricky part of this would be to get the soldered antenna back into an antenna tube.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

thanks guys for all of the suggestions
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
www.team3sixrc.com

Now one more suggestion is, If you are maybe considering upgrading to a better radio/receiver. Though it doesnt hurt to just re solder a wire. You can always move up to a 2.4ghz system. I only say this because 95% of RC eventually get there. A very affordable and nice system to buy is the KO Propo EX-5 and it comes with 2 receivers. 2.4 is a little easier to work with, a lot less glitching, and can be used without worry of switching crystals if you ever plan to run with other people. http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/kop80095.htm
If you would much rather stay where you are then yes the re soldering of a wire is your best option. But i highly suggest you look into going into the 2.4ghz era.
Also Spektrum has the single version coming out which is priced at a $99.00
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/spm3160.htm
Now there are other systems out as well. so feel fre to browse the website for other options.
http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/32.htm
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

UPADTE!!! i soldered my reciever and it works again!! i got an extra reciever now! LO!L! !!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

This brings me to a question... Is there any difference between antenna wire and regular wire the same guage?
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have twisted many ant. wires back together let alone solder them. You should not need a new receiver just fix the one you have. I think the store is either greedy or just dumb. Try the cheap way first I always say!
lowandslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Another option would have been to send it in to Traxxas for a repair ... you're in Texas? So it should have only taken a few days!
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
Another option would have been to send it in to Traxxas for a repair ... you're in Texas? So it should have only taken a few days!
yea lol i shouldnt have to ship it lol traxxas is right up the street
Old 04-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandslow2 View Post
I have twisted many ant. wires back together let alone solder them. You should not need a new receiver just fix the one you have. I think the store is either greedy or just dumb. Try the cheap way first I always say!
i agree~!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
This brings me to a question... Is there any difference between antenna wire and regular wire the same guage?
i dont think so. lol.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
I've used regular 20-22 gauge wire (multi strand) for receivers before with no problems. I've also take a strip of lexan. Cut small slots in the sides of it, wrap the receiver wire around it. Take a piece of servo tape and stick it to the chassis in a place where it won't get damaged again. A 2 foot long receiver wire can wrap around 4 inches of plastic and still give you 250-300 feet of range.
Decible142 is offline   Reply With Quote