Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: berg or bully?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default berg or bully?

i just wanted to ask you guys because i am wanting to go a different route. i really like the way my lcc drives, i just don't like the looks too much and i really like the looks of some of those bergs and bullys! i have the dmg alt cage but it just leaves the rig with two flat sides and i don't like that.

anyways...... i was thinking berg, bully, or a bully artr! any input would be appreciated. ty, eric
imbler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Either are a good choice I've had both and I gotta say for the money and outta the box bulletproof-ness I love my bullys there isn't a huge aftermarket but the parts thatare available are great you will have to put a lot more into the bergs to get it built availabe are great
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i just heard that there were steering issues with the bully. is this not true?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

well the bullies out of the box don't have that great of steering, The knuckles and xvd's dont allow that much steering, after some grinding and modifying, the bullies can get quite a bit of steering.

The bergs are my favorite axle right now. They are much lighter than the bullies and when build properly, can have a TON of steering. I'm running v1 bergs with super 300 cvd's and they are Bulletproof and I have all the steering I could ask for.
For the money, the bullies are a great value, The bergs in my opinion are a better axle but you have to put a bit of money into them to get them bulletproof.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I dunno I don't have a prob with steering at all and if ya ask most guys your tires are gonna hit your shocks or link before you reach the end of your steering throw also bring dig in to factor I can turn my rig on a dime
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

well i think i'll go bully. what would be a good place to start? i was thinking of getting the hellstrom artr from jcconcepts. would that be a good start?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

best suggestion from me is to go over into the Bully section and look at what people are building,,,tons of info,,great group of guys and a total mess of parts usage,,everything you can think of being done on bully's
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

really what i want is artr. i don't want to have to grind and cut. is there artr berg? i like the hoss but i see that he had stuff in there like revo thi and revo that that i would'nt know what to do with.

i drove my lcc today and it just seemed like the cog was too high. i like those rigs that turn on their side and then some without tipping over. i know i could prob work and move stuff on my lcc to get it better on the cog but i don't want to be fabricating stuff.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes there is a artr berg kit:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...6a45ee1eb20ce3
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Haha....you have to be kidding. Do you know anyone who actually runs the kit you listed?

As for an ARTR, there is one offered from RC4WD, but there are better kits out there. JP's has a few kits that are quite popular and seem to perform nicely.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=JeremyH;2242657]Haha....you have to be kidding. Do you know anyone who actually runs the kit you listed?

As a matter of fact I do. It really doesn't work that bad with a few tricks and yes the wheels are too wide but they can be sold to axial/bully/HR guys for the price of some plastic wheels (like the JP kits come with). It is a better option than getting a heavy, non-steering bully and then trading up to bergs.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
It is a better option than getting a heavy, non-steering bully and then trading up to bergs.
Humm....I cant recall anyone that has done that....I know a few that have gone the other direction though.

BTW, the "plastic" wheels that come with the JP kits are MUCH nicer and more solid than the plastic wheels that you berg guys are going to...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

In a year and a half I've put out about $30. in parts for my Bergs. Only one gear replaced. Replaced one knuckle because I losta screw then bound up{my fault} And a few outer axles{common} I beat the living s##t out of this thing.

On the other hand I have seen Bullies spend alot of time on the bench. They may have worked out the bugs but I'm voting for Berg.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I FORGOT TO ADD:
You can get the stock berg kit to do pretty well. You have to limit the hell out of the shocks but it can work. The driver has alot to do with the peformance. There are better set ups but thereare also far worse!
The other thing is that the wheels that are included withthe older ver are too wide.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote