Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Default Need help!

So I am looking for the best crawler for the money. I've looked at some really good priced Axial Ax10 crawlers, the venom creeper, and most recently the integy irok. Somone told me about a redcat crawler but I never see anything of theirs in any magazines. I just want to know out of those which is the most competitive crawler and best choice with most hop ups.
Evil_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_ss View Post
best choice with most hop ups.
IMO the Axial is a pretty good choice, lots of parts, and most shops carry parts for them.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

With hop ups in mind I would go with the Axial. Axial is a good starting point. I would go with the ARTR Axial with all the orange aluminum. Then add the quality components needed. That would be a good starting point. Or for a little more coin you can get the Bully ARTR kit from RC4WD.com
prophetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yup; the Axial Ax10 was my gateway drug.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

the ax10 is the best listed, but if your looking for rtr the losi nightcrawler is the best out of the box crawler IMO.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Shoot down to the Venom creeper section and have a real good read. There are even a few threads that cover exactly what you are asking and a comparison to the AX-10.

The Creeper a good crawler out of the box and a lot better with a few simple and inexpensive mod.

Bang for buck it is a very good deal. I am tight with my coins and read a LOT before I make ANY purchase.
I chose the Creeper.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I bought the scorpion when I first started out, spent a ton on hop ups different chassis. I sold it got a losi night crawler changed servo, motor and my wheels and tires. It out crawls the axial, and its the same as the lcc without metal links and dig. It fn kicks ash. Granted axials have tons of hop ups, thee night crawler uses parts from the LCC and there's always more comming out.
Bubba73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm surprised nobody asked this yet...but do you wanna stick with a shaft driven rig or a MOA rig? You listed 2 very good shafty rigs, a great entry level MOA rig (redcat RS10), and a MOA 1/8 scale rig (integy). That's kinda bouncing all over the place. Step 1. figure out if you want shafty, MOA, 1/10 scale, 1/8 scale, a kit you build yourself, or something ready to run out of the box.

Out of the ones you listed...you can't go wrong with an axial ARTR (but I would avoid the RTC since it has plastic links) and the venom creeper is awesome. For a cheap MOA rig...the RS10 has a lot of potential and won't break the bank. I wouldn't limit yourself to "the one that has the most hopups" because honestly, most electronics and things like bodies and tires can be used on any rig, and quite a few of axial's aluminum parts can be put on other rigs too.

Do some research in the rig specific forums and buy the one you like the best...you're gonna be the one driving it, after all. You're gonna get a lot of back and forth opinions asking people which rig you should get.

Last edited by jsowens; 01-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

If you want best crawler for the money, the creeper is a great choice. Yes it has its weak spots and some tuning and free mods gets you a long way, but every rig has its weak and strong points. The AX-10 has been on the market the longest and has so many hopups that in the end the only common parts on many rigs are axles and basic transmission, but there are so many proven setup options to go with. The night crawler looks like it is also a great entry level crawler with aftermarket support catching up.
I've been building crawlers for about 5 years now, back when axial only made tools and engines so I'm uses to building my own parts and doing alot of tweaking an tuning. My main rig now is a creeper with very few mods and it works quite well on our terrain and hangs with any other rigs here, but I've always been about being different.
cwazyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
RCC Addict

my vote is for the ax10

as for the red cat ummm.. they're priced low for a reason. as w/ any hobby you get what you pay for. and good luck finding replacement parts and after market support.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
my vote is for the ax10

as for the red cat ummm.. they're priced low for a reason. as w/ any hobby you get what you pay for. and good luck finding replacement parts and after market support.
So does that mean that you also "get what you pay for" with the creeper since it's under $150 for the kit? The creeper is a pretty popular kit because of it being inexpensive and a great rig out of the box. Not to start a debate or anything, but practically any of axial's aftermarket parts fit redcat rigs, basically all electronics fit, and you can find tires, wheels, and bodies. Us rs10 folks have had no trouble modding our rigs or finding replacement parts.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

AX10 IS A GOOD STARTER RIG
Brett B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

go with axial
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Axial what do we want AXIAL! Your choice my friend.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Get a Redcat RS10. Out of the box fun, easy to mod, and can crawl all for a RTR at $150. You'll get enough building time doing mods, buying a RTR gets you crawling the first day. Just charge and go. I have about $400 into my Redcat counting my sidewinder esc, 645mg servos, Rover tires, and my 2s lipo and computerized charger balancer.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote