Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wal-Mart to Crawler Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Cool Wal-Mart to Crawler Conversion

Hello all! I am fairly new to R/C Climbing... I bought a Wal-Mart R/C Truck:http://www.amazon.com/Maisto-Radio-C...ref=pd_sbs_t_2

Im planning to make this thing absolutely SICK... Lower gearing, bigger motor, and take that awful plastic brush guard off.. Stock suspension set (for now)

Any tips and tricks I need to know about doing a conversion like this?
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

well most guys on here are most likely going to tell you to go to your garbage can and toss it down there but im not going to.... but what i will tell you is that if you want to do that thing you can but if i were you i would buy a kit from rc4wd...just my thoughts...

and before someone flames you for it its rock CRAWLING just helpin you out...and welcome to the money stealing addiction!
RuberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you could keep the body, and scrap everything else, and build a sweet scaler with the JK 2 door body, depending on it's actual size.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Just because it starts out as a piece of trash doesnt mean it cant be made into a SICK machine, E.G. My snowmobiles for instance, Take a really old piecer, mod it then it goes 150mph or take an old car, fix it up mod it, and take it to the dragstrip, pretty much anything is possible... And of course im gonna put a lift on it before you ask lol... I dont necessarily care for others opinions on what I have...

Happy Trails!!!
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

umm, i think your going about it all wrong. No lift, Low and Slow. keep the body, buy a nice kit man! you get what you pay for

bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The body would make a great scaler, as for the rest...................put it on ebay and buy or make the parts you really want.
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I dont necessarily care for others opinions on what I have...

is you dont care why ask...
but i had a buddy with one of them and convert to a stampede like truck with a custom cage and integy motors, def start with the chassis to get a good base and geometry lay out of everything, typical crawlers have about a 12-12.5in wheelbase not sure what that one has, look into some HB rovers, 2.2 wheels, maybe buy some delrin and rodends and make your own links maybe look into a r2 tranny, some good shocks.
look in the forsale section on this forum for sweet deals
and good luck would like to see pics later down the road of the conversion
and welcome to a money hungry hobby
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got the same thing.. Guy asks for people opinions and help and then when it isnt what he wants to hear, he pretty much tells them to shut up?? Nice. Welcome to RCC by the way. I have a feeling your not gonna love it..
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

haha thats what im saying join the forum for help then ppl give you help even tho it may not be what you wanna here then he throws you under the bus ha
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

I'm all for moding and doing things MY way but when you start with (crap) than youll be chasing repars the rest of the time you own it. save your $$ and get ya self a good rig and make that sick or diferent o what ever ya want. it still holds true...you get what you pay for...jist my 2 beens GSRCC Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

dude you will have fun with that thing and will spend a ton of time getting it to work OK.

there are hobby shop grade kits and there are toy stor kits.

pritty much everythgin on that will need to be modified or replaced if you want it to work.

i look forward to seeing the build thread. but as everyone else stated if you want a capable machine go buy something else. i'll bet this one with every mod you do to it wont perform nearly as well as a stock axial with rock lizards.
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Suck it up!

like going to a gun fight with a plastic spoon...it might be a really kick ass plastic spoon, but its still a spoon.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
like going to a gun fight with a plastic spoon...it might be a really kick ass plastic spoon, but its still a spoon.

ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Unless the guy brought a .380 pistol
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I honestly think that if you were to go to a hobby shop and look at thier crawlers you would save yourself alot of mental anguish and a ton of money. It is great that you want to get into the hobby but like these guys have said there are alot of kits that would get you crawling without spending serious dough. BTW is this a joke?
rokcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have guys that think about doing this also. I tell them it will be very hard and very expensive. The only thing that I can say about Wal-Mart's RC line is that once it breaks, you should throw it in the trash. The kits you buy at the hobby shop are made to build and upgrade and repair when broken. Wal-Mart and the hobby shops RC lines are like night and day. But good luck on your build.
THE PARTS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i say buy what you can afford and enjoy, not everybody has the money for a 1000 dollar rig.
as far as opinion they say they are like a--holes.....
dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
it might be a really kick ass plastic spoon

I think your talking about a spork, thats what I would consider a kick ass spoon.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 02-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragit View Post
i say buy what you can afford and enjoy, not everybody has the money for a 1000 dollar rig.
as far as opinion they say they are like a--holes.....
So if this guy wants our opinion on what might work, are you saying he wants to see our butt holes?

Anyway, I've bought Wal-Mart rigs, they are only good for the bodies that can be used on scale builds. I have a couple of NewBright JK 4dr's, and the body rocks, the rest???? Total crap. Motors=joke, tires=joke, suspension, non-existant.

I'd like to see this 150mph snow mobile tho.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
I think your talking about a spork, thats what I would consider a kick ass spoon.

Not really. I was thinking of one with lasers and crazy tribal art engraved on the handle, and allows the weilder to transcend time and space and date 6 super-models at a time while driving a Bugatti. THAT is a kick-ass spoon.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote