Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking to build a scale crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Looking to build a scale crawler

I'm looking into getting into R/C crawling. Used to be into racing but no tracks around here, and also have a fullsize crawler.

My only real questions are how long is the wheelbase of a stock TLT, and what is the wheel base of the TLT-10's out there that use commercially available dog bones or sliders? If I go the TLT route instead of Clod I want to trully make a scale crawler with maybe a rubicon body or perma chevy stepside.

My plans are to use some losi shocks I have, a new reversable ESC, a lathe motor for the torque, and either swamp dawgs or the yokohama replicas that are out there on narrowed HPI wheels. I think I have most everthing figured out except I don't know how the stock setup will fit on the bodies I want to run and how well these things flex. Oh yeah almost forgot I will JB weld all the diffs as well, and only plan on front steer for the moment (after racing I can't ditch a pistol grip, using one of those is like a 6th sense now)
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking to build a scale crawler

There are pistol grip 3 channel radios, so unless you're looking to do a winch on your truck, you shouldn't have a problem with 4WS.

Wheelbase of a TLT-10 using the stock chassis is about 11.75" This is just a bit shy of some of the maxx bodies. I think you can get to about 12.25" by switching the lower link mounts like Wookie's truck. Can't remember what it is stock. Anyway, I hope you find some nice info here on the forums, and ask any more questions you have. BTW, any pics of your 1:1 crawler?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Looking to build a scale crawler

The 1:1 is just getting started, 79 f-150 with 400 and 4 speed. Going to build up my third budget truck hopefully sitting on 36's for now. Had a Yota with 4.3/th350 with a dana 44 front and 37's on beadlock wheels.. shouldnt of gotten rid of that.

Wanna get a scale crawler to keep me from go stir crazy while I gather money for my fullsize. So far this site has had the most info and really getting me excited to get one of these things in my hands! To bad the stock TLT's look so damn goofy otherwise I would just get one to bash in the back yard for now, but now I'm going to research and figure out how to build it right the first time.
Jneves is offline   Reply With Quote