Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New AX10 Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New AX10 Owner

Hello everyone, complete newbie here. I have been creeping around the forums for a while, but just got a AX10 last week, and just decided to post today.

I am a college student who is an avid 1:1 off-roader, as well as a cross country atv racer here in Michigan. I found a hobby shop in town, and knew i was hooked as soon as i saw the crawlers! I went back to the Hobby store in town with the intentions of buying a Honcho but decided to get the AX10 since it was RTR. I look forward to learning more about these awesome machines, as well as making mine look as close to my truck as possible! Haven't seen any Ram bodies for the AX10 or SCX10, just some for Traxxas and whatnot. Any ideas there?

Unfortunately the day after i bought my AX10 we got 8 inches of snow! Since then we have gotten a bit more, but the top layer crusted pretty nicely so i have gotten to drive it a bit on top of the snow, and up some snow banks at my apartment complex. Cant wait to do some trail runs with this thing!

I haven't installed the front locker or the 14t (or 13t, cant remember) yet that came with it, but plan to very soon. I have been crawling around on top of my textbooks and other stuff in my apartment the past few days, and can definitely see how both with benefit the machine a ton!

As to the installation, i was going to the other day but don't really have the right tools with me here at school, any ideas where to get a good set for this thing? saw some at the hobby store, but they were like $30 for 5 hex drivers...

I haven't really seen a forum dedicated to wheelin' pictures, so i will include just one in here.

Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Welcome to the addiction!
Entropy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! It's been A lot of fun so far, hopefully I can find some more people in my area to run with.

This thing will probably never see rocks, well at least not a natural rock layout. It will likely just wheel in the dirt, logs, mud and maybe some sand here and there.

I am trying to find some mud slingers, anyone know someplace that has them in stock?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Can you get your hands on a grinder or a dremal with a sander or grinding tool? You can make a set of hex keys that would fit out of a cheap set from the hardware store. You can also make it out of stiff metal wire/rod. Just get your basic design and start to slowly taking a little off, it works best with a variable speed grinder, and size it up after each short grind.

As for the body you should beable to order one and modify it to fit your AX-10.
newtocrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Kazoo eh, must be goin to Western, wife graduated from Western in 1980 (yea I'm an old fart)

If you want to run on rock go to Battlefront Game & RC in Grand Rapids. Nice indoor crawling facillity there and plenty of guys to help you out there too.

BATTLE FRONT ROCK CRAWLERS.......Grand Rapids, MI

Last edited by sledge57; 02-17-2010 at 11:41 AM.
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks Sledge, i will definately go check that place out, maybe even this weekend. And yes, going to Western for Chemical/Paper Engineering.

As for the tools, i am going to stop by Harbor Freight tonight and see if they have some. Do these use the standard or metric hex drivers?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #7

This was my first truck as well. You made a good choice. It was fun out of the box and was great to modify for comps. I started with a set of allen wrenches made by low bucks racing and a cheapo stanley ratchet screwdriver. Have fun!
Rumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Ramination;2304652]Hello everyone, complete newbie here. I have been creeping around the forums for a while, but just got a AX10 last week, and just decided to post today.

Good choice for your first crawler & welcome to the addiction .
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I bought some hex drivers at harbor freight this evening and changed out the open diff in the front for the locker. Freakin rocks! i wish working on my truck was that easy. haha

On a side note, what size hex is the set screw on the motor output shaft? i can't seem to find anything that fits it? It seems to be between 1.5 and 2?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

It is 1.5 but be sure to buy a good one, i paid 15 bucks just for the 1.5 made by mip. it sould never strip and is warrantied for life.
racerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim View Post
It is 1.5 but be sure to buy a good one, i paid 15 bucks just for the 1.5 made by mip. it sould never strip and is warrantied for life.
Interesting. I guess i will have to wait until i go home to get my better tools-aka not from Harbor Freight. I couldn't pass up $4 for 7 at Harbor Freight last night tho, regardless of the fact that i probably have at least 3 of every size that was included in the kit. Plus its small enough for the pocket, and cheap enough not to worry about leaving it somewhere or loosing it.

Thanks for all the help guys!