Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Snow + Electronics = No Reverse!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Snow + Electronics = No Reverse!

Just got the mud slingers in so i went out for a test drive, but i think the snow may have gotten the better of the ESC finally.

The issue: When i attempt to reverse the truck does not move, but the light on the ESC does go from green to blinkying red. Also, forward is all or nothing, no movement or full speed ahead no matter how much throttle i give it.

I think i ruined the ESC, yea?

On a side note, the mud slingers are freaking amazing in the snow, leaps and bounds better than the rock lizards or whatever came on the thing.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Water and esc = no good next time throw it in a punch balloon and be water proof..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I went to the hobby store to get a new ESC today, he suggested i try reprograming the ESC. Can the stock stuff be reprogrammed, because i can't find anything in the book about it.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

before you run your rig in mud, water, snow make sure all your electronics are waterproofed, otherwise you'll be getting youre third esc on your LHS

you can also open up the old esc and make sure nothing got wet, make sure everythig is dry before putting it back together, then you can try and re-program it if it's possible
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Didn't have a problem with the snow/electronics before the slingers, and i think its because they pulled me through a lot deeper snow and flung it better. Working on the whole waterproof thing now, especially since the snow is starting to melt

I did open everything up after the fact with the same results.

The hobbyshop guy has two options for me in stock. An ESC for $95, and a brushless system for $165. I can't remember the names of them for the life of me, and i can't decide which would be better, especially since i am uninformed.

Although the stock ESC is sketchy and sometimes jittery, i wouldn't be opposed to buying one for cheap to get me through for a while, if someone has one laying around...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

if you don't mind not having a drag brake and reverse delay i would suggest a Traxxas XL-5 waterproofed ESC for $50, all you got to worry about is waterproofing the reciever and servo.

there's a thread about waterproofing on the electronics section.

hope this helps
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks, i will look into those.

Racing season is about to begin (cross country atv racing), and so i am forking out dough like crazy right now getting parts, gear, etc so i would like to keep the RC low budget for a month or two until the play fund replenishes. Are there any other good alternatives from the stock ESC and Traxxas that i should look into?

Thanks for the help everyone, hate to be a cheapo on things, but college combined with semi-pro racing requires big bux even with sponsors!