Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Any difference between SCX10 TR Dingo and Honcho?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Any difference between SCX10 TR Dingo and Honcho?

O.K. I've pretty much decided on an Axial SCX10 TR for me and my son. Now how do I decide between the two? Is the only difference preference in body style, or is there any other pros/cons to each one? Does the Honcho come with any interior, I can't seem to find any pictures showing this? It appears the Dingo does have some factory interior.

Thanks for all the info on my previous post, I'm excited to have narrowed it down to these rigs!
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the honcho has a longer wheelbase, thats about it, but the honcho(tr) isnt released yet.. as i know of
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

IIRC, the one with the Dingo body (TR) comes with electronics. The Honcho does not. That's the biggest thing. ARTR.

Yeah, the Honcho is out. It's been out for months....
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

no he is talking about the TR honcho...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZEW1**&P=ML
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

Yes, I was only wondering about the TR models. I see the wheelbase is slightly longer on the honcho, I can't imagine this would make much difference in my case. So, it still seems like just a body preference issue, any input on the interior or anything else? I'm kind of torn between the two bodies.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The honcho has a spacer on the 3link to make it longer. When you run it alittle hard the 3link breaks becouse of the spacer. Just a heads up
whalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

get one of each ! heh
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Yes, I was only wondering about the TR models. I see the wheelbase is slightly longer on the honcho, I can't imagine this would make much difference in my case. So, it still seems like just a body preference issue, any input on the interior or anything else? I'm kind of torn between the two bodies.
I own the kit Honcho, it does not have any interior and I don't believe the TR version will either. I haven't ran my Honcho yet, so I don't know of any issues with the 3-link like stated above, I will have to keep an eye out for it. Basically it comes down to which body you like best. I will tell you the one thing I don't like about the Honcho is the front bumper, it looks great but has a terrible approach angle.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #9

Thanks, I think I'll go with the Dingo. Should be great for us! I realize it's a crawler/trail, but does anyone know the top speed?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Thanks, I think I'll go with the Dingo. Should be great for us! I realize it's a crawler/trail, but does anyone know the top speed?
It isn't much, maybe 3-4 mph at best.
umop apisdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #11

I took my son to a local car show yesterday. They were racing indoor with some rc cars/buggys. He REALLY liked it, now I'm wondering if he will be unhappy with the slow speed of the scx10 tr? Maybe the Axial scorpion rtr (rock crawler/racer) would be better for all around - could crawl/trail and still be able to race around with some speed.

But for this kind of money, I like the looks of the dingo/honcho WAY better. Should I buy the Dingo for our "good/special" truck and just buy him something cheap to bash around with?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

well if u want speed and crawling capabilities, its kinda hard to combine,
but the Traxxas Summit can crawl pretty decently, and it can go up to the 30mph with no problem, since it is wider, it has more stability, tut the bad part is: the price, new ones are $550ish, there also is the e-maxx, but crawling capabilities go WAAAY down, i say, if u can afford one, get a summit for him and the dingo for urself
Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I would think the top speed is more than 3 or 4 mph with a 27t motor.

I would pick up one of each then you and your son can trail run together.

As for the Traxxas Summit, they are huge and heavy trucks. Not much of a trail running rig.

I own a Summit and a couple of SCX's plus alot of other trucks too.... I think I am addicted....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #14

I understand its hard to do both crawling and speed with the same truck. The traxxas summit looks great, but a little out of my price range for beginning.

What about a cheaper monster truck such as and Exceed Dynamite for around $100. Would that turn to "junk" too quickly?

I'm not against a traxxas stampede, hpi wheelie king, or something like that, I just think too much speed would not be real managable for my 5-6 yr. old right now. That's why I am leaning towards a crawler/scaler.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i say get urself an scx10, let him drive it, if he thinks its too slow, then maybe move onto different choices, if he likes it, just go buy another one, or let him keep that and buy urself another one
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Buy the SCX10 and a short course truck like a HPI Blitz or Traxxas Slash. You would have the slow crawling ability and another truck to bash/go fast. You can't get both with one vehicle. Oh and the SC trucks are a blast to mess around with!
subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

My oldest daughter starting out at age 5 with a Tamiya Blackfoot, she did alright with it too.

I am still leaning towards an SCX10 for your son. There is plenty of speed in that rig for a 5 y.o.

Stampedes are fun as are Wheely Kings, but the Scx is probably a better fit for your area too.

Wish I lived in the Black hills instead of flat Fargo N.D.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #18

Great input, I guess I'll go with the scx10 tr. It should be great for our area. Those short course trucks look pretty sweet too, maybe in the future!

I'm not to excited about getting any of the "cheap" models available everywhere, it seems they don't last too long.

Are you staying "cool" up there in ND this winter??
Old 03-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #19

good to read the input im getting a tr myself thanks.
Marq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #20

Marq, how to you like your nightcrawler? Are you getting the dingo or honcho body? I'm leaning towards the dingo.

Is there a "standard" battery and charger to get for this truck, or any suggestions?