Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Another "Which Crawler" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #1

Default Another "Which Crawler" Thread

Already have two Axials, so am looking for something a bit different for my next project. This thread is really two pronged:

I have a spare set of stock AX10 wheels attached to 2.2 Proline Flat Irons, and I'm looking to build something around them. Something scaler-y and primarily for bashing, so I'm really after something relatively cheap and cheerful.

I've been looking at the 1/10 Exceed crawlers which seem to be an awful lot cheaper than even Axials offerings, and I was wondering if they're any good? Equally, the bare bones Diablo chassis seems on the cheap side as well. As with most things, you get what you pay for, so I'm wondering what the catch is.

After all that would I be better off starting a custom rig? I already make my own links and link plates, so maybe getting parts a bit at a time would be more cost effective, but I wouldn't really know what bits work with each other (as my only experience is with Ax10s at the moment!) and therefore may end up spending more than I need to.

Would appreciate being pointed in the right direction!
SteelRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Atleat get a REDCAR RS10. they have a thread on here at least. Exceede dont. read read read. knowlege is power
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #3

Yeah reading around the RS10 seems to be the better option and at least with that just by upgrading the tyres and weighting the wheels you can get something that's half decent.

Thanks for your reply
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

why not buy another set of axial axles and a transmission and build your own rig from there. It's really not that hard to do and when its done you will have a one of a kind rig. The direction you take with the build is totally up to you, weather its a tube, flat aluminum, or c-channel no matter what it is you'll get alot of satisfaction out of saying you built it and there are no others like it!! Plus going with the axial stuff you'll only need to keep spare parts around from on brand of crawler.

Last edited by allgm1; 03-26-2010 at 06:24 AM.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Now i am not shure if you wanted to keep the two axials that you have the same or not, but maby you could take the axels and tranny out of one and use a scaler type chassis like the standard SCX10 frame or the TCS crawlers X-Trail chassis and build up from there. it would be a less expensive than an excede or rs10 and more reliable
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #6

Heh I'm doing that at the moment with my Mega Monster Beetle build. Had some bits left over from the AX10 when I converted it to an Xtrail scaler and thought I'd build a truck out of that.

Just had those proline tyres lying about and was considering what to do with 'em other than sell 'em. It's not really something I'm planning on doing right away as the scaler project isn't quite finished yet, the MMB build is still under way, and after those two are done I really fancy a CC-01 (probably a Paj) so I've got a little to keep me busy in the immediate future.

I just fancied seeing what else was out there. As much as I love Axial kit, I didn't want to limit myself to that, especially when the crawler scene is so wide open with different types.