Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: charging lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default charging lipo

what would happen if I used a standard stick pack charger on a lipo battery. i have a venom lipo balance charger but it is so slow. just trying to get a faster charge maybe plug in both at the same time. using it on 5000 2s packs
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Theres a reason that the proper charger is slow... you may have a cell that doesnt hold charge as well as the others... in other words... if you charge it with the other charger I hope you have good house insurance for fires...
Orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

If we could charge lipo batteries on a "regular" charger, everyone would be doing it. Go ahead and give it a shot. Make sure to have a fire extinguisher handy.

Most battery configurations guys are using yield about an hour of runtime. It takes about an hour to charge a battery. Get two batteries and problem solved; charge one while you're using the other.

This goes for NiMH/NiCd as well as Lipo. Those 15-minute egg-timer chargers just ruin batteries anyway...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

my venom charger took 16 hrs to charge the 5000 2s. i realize that i could just buy another charger just trying to save a little cash thats why I asked first. thanks for saving the fire
Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
my venom charger took 16 hrs to charge the 5000 2s.
That'd drive anyone bonkers. Definitely something wrong with the charger or the cells. What kinda cells are they?

I know I've got some 2200 PolyRC 3 cells I got from Holmes Hobbies. On my Hyperion charger,bout 30 minutes,they are peaked and ready. The 1300's I got from Holmes,bout 20 minutes.

The ONLY time I've used a NiMH/NiCd cycle for lipo's,is if they go below 3 volts per cell. Just hit them on the NiMH setting for a few seconds and it bumps them up to 3 volts per cell,then switch over the correct lipo setting.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

G Force China Batt. the odd thing is that the venom charger only plugs into the balance port nothing into the deans connecter. is that why it takes so long. I have been using it on my crawler lipos but it only takes about two hrs to charge a 1300 3s. that i could live with.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Which Venom charger...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
G Force China Batt. the odd thing is that the venom charger only plugs into the balance port nothing into the deans connecter. is that why it takes so long.
I would imagine thats the reason it takes so long. Why don't you plug anything into the deans plug? Personally,I've never seen a set up like that.

Quote:
I have been using it on my crawler lipos but it only takes about two hrs to charge a 1300 3s. that i could live with.
2 hours for a 1300 would drive me bonkers.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

there is nothing to plug into. all that is there is a little box that you can plug a 2s or a 3s into thats it. the specs on the back say. Input 10.0 - 15.0v DC Output 0.8A Li-polymer / Li-on. I realize that i get what i pay for it was only like $35 but it gets the job done later than sooner
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yeah just looked it up... its basically just a trickle charger charging through the batteries balance connector... AMain says its .75a... considering at 1C you should be charging at 5a thats why it takes so long...